Koodo Community

Hacked... again.

• 14 January 2021
  • 7 replies

I have been hacked TWICE in Jan 2021 alone. Someone got into my self serve, and tried to purchase multiple iPhones! They changed all my info, faked an email, and changed my address to somewhere in Montreal. (I live near Edmonton AB) I am now locked out for a second time, despite changing all security info and advising the rep on the phone to ONLY accept changes made VERBALLY from my number only. I also called the port authority and had a port lock placed on my phone. I've done everything they said, and more... still got hacked again. My only saving grace is that I dont have pre authorized payments set up, and input my info manually every time I pay. I am no longer using self serve to pay my bill, and will instead travel the 20 min drive to a physical store where HOPEFULLY my info will be safer.

Needless to say, I am a very frustrated customer. I have mobile with Koodo and wifi with Telus. This experience has put me off and I am strongly considering switching carriers. 

- Sam

*Edit* This person went as far as to CALL Koodo from a Montreal phone # pretending to be ME! When they could not answer security questions, Koodo flagged it and called my cell. I do not blame any Koodo employees, as hacking happens. I DO, however, expect more security measures to be in place especially after already being hacked once, and sending fraud reports through Koodo and the people who port locked my phone for me.

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That is a painful experience. Koodo mentioned that they will implement 2FA for Koodo login so that could help.

To fight against hacking,  I would suggest   some little tricks to make  hacker work harder:

• Change the email address to something else (away from your main email address). That might help if they think you would use the main email for everything.
  • Change the password of the selfserve to something hard to guess (I assumed you did that the last time already).
  • Avoid to use Koodo login in other phone/device/PC. 
  • Be careful with “fishing” emails. Any email that required you to use your username/password could be a hack.

Last thing is to be vigilant. It is hard to know exactly what the hackers know and what they could do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have been hacked TWICE in Jan 2021 alone. Someone got into my self serve, and tried to purchase multiple iPhones! They changed all my info, faked an email, and changed my address to somewhere in Montreal. (I live near Edmonton AB) I am now locked out for a second time, despite changing all security info and advising the rep on the phone to ONLY accept changes made VERBALLY from my number only. I also called the port authority and had a port lock placed on my phone. I've done everything they said, and more... still got hacked again. My only saving grace is that I dont have pre authorized payments set up, and input my info manually every time I pay. I am no longer using self serve to pay my bill, and will instead travel the 20 min drive to a physical store where HOPEFULLY my info will be safer.

Needless to say, I am a very frustrated customer. I have mobile with Koodo and wifi with Telus. This experience has put me off and I am strongly considering switching carriers. 

- Sam

*Edit* This person went as far as to CALL Koodo from a Montreal phone # pretending to be ME! When they could not answer security questions, Koodo flagged it and called my cell. I do not blame any Koodo employees, as hacking happens. I DO, however, expect more security measures to be in place especially after already being hacked once, and sending fraud reports through Koodo and the people who port locked my phone for me.

I’m sorry to hear that. It really sucks to go through this a second time.

First and foremost, change your password. I would go a step further and change your email address as well. Set up a new email account and change the address on your Self Serve portal. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/changing-your-self-serve-email

Next, reset your PIN code. It’s possible they may have changed it, so it’s important to do this on your Self Serve portal to prevent any other attempts in the future. 

I would suggest reporting this to the local police, so you have a file number for future reference. You should also report this incident to the Anti-Fraud Centre. https://antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/report-signalez-eng.htm

Last but not least, make sure to report this incident to Equifax and TransUnion, so they can put an alert on your credit report. You can follow the instructions here for Equifax and here for TransUnion.

Thank you for responding. I just got a hold of Koodo, did a list of security questions, and was told that they would call back my number and send a 4 digit code to make sure it's me. That's fine. Then the rep hung up as discussed, and my phone service was cut off. I've rebooted my phone and verified it. Koodo is no longer listed in my mobile network area of Settings. 

How are they supposed to call me back and text me a code if they've taken my service away? 

Getting more and more frustrated...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you for responding. I just got a hold of Koodo, did a list of security questions, and was told that they would call back my number and send a 4 digit code to make sure it's me. That's fine. Then the rep hung up as discussed, and my phone service was cut off. I've rebooted my phone and verified it. Koodo is no longer listed in my mobile network area of Settings. 

How are they supposed to call me back and text me a code if they've taken my service away? 

If you have a landline, I would suggest scheduling a callback through Koodo Assist to that number. Otherwise, you can download an app that can make and receive calls, such as Fongo, and schedule a callback to that number instead. 

It's also worth noting there is currently a major service outage throughout B.C. and Alberta, which is why you don't see the Koodo network on your phone. https://downdetector.ca/status/koodo/

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Could you elaborate what you were trying to do? Why would they need to send you a 4digit code? I just wondered if you contacted by Koodo or someone else. Did you schedule a callback from them?

Anyway, if your number wasn’t available, you could schedule to a different number or chat with rep via Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Koodo  or Twitter

Hey! Just got off the phone with Koodo. (I did schedule a call back through the site). It was indeed because of the service outage that I lost service. Just unlucky timing. The lady at Koodo was amazing! She texted me, and even emailed me to assure me she was still actively trying to reach me. After about 20 mins, she was able to get through. 

Turns out that I was locked out of my self serve by the Koodo fraud dept, as they have just recieved the fraud notice and were working on my account just yesterday. 

All is well. My info is safe. And account is locked (even to me) until the fraud dept calls and confirms my identity. Believe it or not, the person who hacked me, input a  credit card that is not mine, nor my husband's, and Koodo billed that card for my December bill. It went through on Jan 2nd. I am physically and virtually unable to pay my Koodo bill, (even at a store), as the system has it registered as paid for this bill cycle. 

They dont want to touch it right now, as they may be able to access the full number if reasonable suspicion. I think that it may be a stolen card, and would not be surprised if the payment is reversed and I am eventually billed for December. Awaiting a call from Fraud Dept. 

I am very happy with the service I recieved today. 

Thank you, Patyl! Koodos to you! No pun intended xD ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey! Just got off the phone with Koodo. (I did schedule a call back through the site). It was indeed because of the service outage that I lost service. Just unlucky timing. The lady at Koodo was amazing! She texted me, and even emailed me to assure me she was still actively trying to reach me. After about 20 mins, she was able to get through. 

Turns out that I was locked out of my self serve by the Koodo fraud dept, as they have just recieved the fraud notice and were working on my account just yesterday. 

All is well. My info is safe. And account is locked (even to me) until the fraud dept calls and confirms my identity. Believe it or not, the person who hacked me, input a  credit card that is not mine, nor my husband's, and Koodo billed that card for my December bill. It went through on Jan 2nd. I am physically and virtually unable to pay my Koodo bill, (even at a store), as the system has it registered as paid for this bill cycle. 

They dont want to touch it right now, as they may be able to access the full number if reasonable suspicion. I think that it may be a stolen card, and would not be surprised if the payment is reversed and I am eventually billed for December. Awaiting a call from Fraud Dept. 

I am very happy with the service I recieved today. 

Thank you, Patyl! Koodos to you! No pun intended xD ;)

I’m glad someone got back to you. Hopefully everything is settled soon on your account!