Koodo Community
Solved

Giving my old phone to a family member

• 20 September 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

So my dad has had an ancient flip phone with Koodo for the last 8 years or so, and since I just recently got a new phone I’m giving him my old S5 Neo.  The problem is his phone takes the old large SIM card and the phone I’m giving him takes a micro SIM.

Does he have to contact Koodo and request a new micro SIM, or can I request a micro SIM on his behalf and install it for him on the new phone?  Or can I buy a non Koodo SIM card at a tech store and have his Koodo account transferred to it?

icon

Best answer by Lavinia Koodo 9 October 2020, 22:20

Hello @Kevan B! The fastest way of getting a replacement SIM card is by purchasing one from a Koodo shop or partner store, and you can check the ones close to you here: koodomobile.com/stores. Alternatively, we can send a new SIM card to your father in 3-7 business days if he contacts us on koodo.com/chat or on Facebook/Twitter, but please note that a $10 charge will be posted on the next bill for this new SIM. Afterwards, he can activate the new SIM by following these steps: koo.do/SIM

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi Kevan,

If you are swapping to a different SIM card size, you just need to buy a new SIM card and you can make to change on your father’s Self serve account. 

Here are steps that you need to follow:

• Click Mobile services.  If there is more than one subscriber, select the subscriber that is changing their SIM card.
  • Click Change your SIM card.  

44517.png?1538162118630

• A message will appear to ensure the customer has all they need to continue.44615.png?1538580007520

• Enter the new SIM card number into the empty field.  SIM card numbers are 19 digits in length.  Do not insert the new SIM card in yet.

Select Continue.

• The Get verification code page appears.

Select a line that will receive the 5 digit verification code.  The first phone number is the current user followed by other users on the account.

A 5 digit verification code will be sent to his existing phone or to another line on his account.  You may select the line that will receive the verification code.  Ensure the line is nearby or that you can get the code off the other phone easily.

• Enter the verification code you have received on his phone or on another phone.

• You will see a Success Page where your father's SIM has been activated.  You may insert his new SIM into his phone.

Note:

• SIM make take up to 15 minutes to be activated.
  • If the SIM is not activated successfully, you will be sent to a general error page and asked to try again later and will be sent back to Mobile Services page.  
  • All account features and information are held on the SIM and transfer over to the new phone.
  • Phonebook entries may appear differently from one phone to another.
  • SMS are automatically stored on the phone, not the SIM.

Best regards,

Helen

Badge +4

The SIM card has three different sized SIM cards built-in;

Standard (large SIM card, older phones),

Micro (for the S5 Neo)

Nano (for most newer phones) 

Simply pop out the micro SIM card needed for the S5 Neo.

SIM card 101

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you prefer, take the SIM to any reputable mobile store and see if they have a cutter which can cut a Normal size SIM  down to a micro size. I myself have a cutter (bought at AliExpress)  that cuts a micro size SIM  down to a nano size.  Some of the older SIMs cannot be accommodate this procedure. A do-it-yourself job is demonstrated in this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv0P4-YG6-E

See also https://www.wikihow.com/Cut-a-SIM-Card

Userlevel 1

Hi Kevan,

If you are swapping to a different SIM card size, you just need to buy a new SIM card and you can make to change on your father’s Self serve account. 

Here are steps that you need to follow:

• Click Mobile services.  If there is more than one subscriber, select the subscriber that is changing their SIM card.
  • Click Change your SIM card.  

44517.png?1538162118630

• A message will appear to ensure the customer has all they need to continue.44615.png?1538580007520

• Enter the new SIM card number into the empty field.  SIM card numbers are 19 digits in length.  Do not insert the new SIM card in yet.

Select Continue.

• The Get verification code page appears.

Select a line that will receive the 5 digit verification code.  The first phone number is the current user followed by other users on the account.

A 5 digit verification code will be sent to his existing phone or to another line on his account.  You may select the line that will receive the verification code.  Ensure the line is nearby or that you can get the code off the other phone easily.

• Enter the verification code you have received on his phone or on another phone.

• You will see a Success Page where your father's SIM has been activated.  You may insert his new SIM into his phone.

Note:

• SIM make take up to 15 minutes to be activated.
  • If the SIM is not activated successfully, you will be sent to a general error page and asked to try again later and will be sent back to Mobile Services page.  
  • All account features and information are held on the SIM and transfer over to the new phone.
  • Phonebook entries may appear differently from one phone to another.
  • SMS are automatically stored on the phone, not the SIM.

Best regards,

Helen

Thank you.  Can I order a new SIM card online somehow, or do I have to go to a physical store to buy one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can order a sim card from anywhere, even Amazon or eBay. Make sure you select the postpaid version!

Userlevel 3

Hello @Kevan B! The fastest way of getting a replacement SIM card is by purchasing one from a Koodo shop or partner store, and you can check the ones close to you here: koodomobile.com/stores. Alternatively, we can send a new SIM card to your father in 3-7 business days if he contacts us on koodo.com/chat or on Facebook/Twitter, but please note that a $10 charge will be posted on the next bill for this new SIM. Afterwards, he can activate the new SIM by following these steps: koo.do/SIM

Userlevel 1

Hello @Kevan B! The fastest way of getting a replacement SIM card is by purchasing one from a Koodo shop or partner store, and you can check the ones close to you here: koodomobile.com/stores. Alternatively, we can send a new SIM card to your father in 3-7 business days if he contacts us on koodo.com/chat or on Facebook/Twitter, but please note that a $10 charge will be posted on the next bill for this new SIM. Afterwards, he can activate the new SIM by following these steps: koo.do/SIM

Thank you!  Dropped by The Source and grabbed him a sim and transferred everything to the new phone.  Used the self serve to activate his account on the new sim.