Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Exchanging phone numbers

Hello everyone. My mother passed away last month (cancer). One of the things I need to do is transfer the cell phone and the number over to myself. We have shared the same phone for years, and I need to keep the number so that important contacts can still reach me during this complicated period. I signed up for my own account on Wednesday, with a SIM card. So I'm able to use our Galaxy S II X on my own account by swapping SIM cards. The next step is to change the number on my mother's Self Serve, then log in to my account and grab the old phone number. What I need to know is: How long after changing numbers on my mother's account will the old number be available? Will the number stay locked for a while before being available to other customers? Is it possible that someone else will obtain the number?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
when numbers get changed on an account, the old number is automatically locked for 3 months and cannot be selected. A smoother option would have been to have you mother's account transferred into your name rather than signing up with a new account and trying to keep the same number.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

when numbers get changed on an account, the old number is automatically locked for 3 months and c...

Damn, I didn't think that was going to be an option.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

when numbers get changed on an account, the old number is automatically locked for 3 months and c...

It may still be an option. You do have 15 days during which you can cancel an account with no penalty (if usage is low. If it's too high you may need to pay for the plan, but can still return the phone for a refund). If you give customer service a call, they can connect you to the department which handles the accounts of deceased customers. Once they confirm the details, you will have the option of cancelling the account or transferring it into your own or someone else's name.
Userlevel 1
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

If you made change very recently, maybe, just maybe, if you call back, they may be able to Undo what you did, and then be able to do what Timo suggested. I think its worth a try, given your circumstance. Just keep in mind that you did what you did, and if they cannot undo it for you, then that's that. IF they can undo what you did, it may cost you some dollars. You really have nothing to loose by asking and if they can do it, consider it.gift. Sorry for your lose. I lost my mom recently also.
Userlevel 7
So sorry about your loss David.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Daniel Kim wrote:

So sorry about your loss David.

Same here 😞