Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Does Koodo have something comparable to Fido's "Data Top-Up": 1GB for $15.00?

Userlevel 1
All I can see on Koodo's website is the option to buy extra data at the rate of $5.00 per 100 MB.  That works out to about $50.00 for 1 GB, doesn't it?  Ouch!

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sounds like you could use a plan upgrade. My 50$ plan is 5$ for 500mb. It's possible your on an old plan that had expensive data. Would u consider a plan change? If so, what is important to you in a phone plan. Minutes, how many? Calling, where and how much? Data, how much?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

Sounds like you could use a plan upgrade. My 50$ plan is 5$ for 500mb. It's possible your on an ...

I think OP is talking about data overage rate.
Koodo's changed their Additional data charge to $5/100 MB on new plans. (It's crazy,IMO)
If you have a old plan, then you have better data overage charge rate. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

Sounds like you could use a plan upgrade. My 50$ plan is 5$ for 500mb. It's possible your on an ...

5$ for 250mb is my overage rate. And it's a new plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

I mean newer one 😉
Check their website.
They started those "Includes 1 GB of bonus data"promo. But overage rate is $5/100MB. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

Wow I just changed to this plan like 2 months ago and didn't notice they made that change. Thanks Mayumi 🙂 data is too expensive anymore. This day and age with everything in life being online, be it work, school or anything, telecoms should figure out a way to bring data down.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

I know. Last promo was great. But I don't like this new promos at all.. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

I believe Koodo is encouraging folks to purchase the data they (might) need up front, rather than paying overages. In any month, a customer can upgrade their plan to get additional data without pro-rating occurring, at the risk of losing a sweetheart plan from the past. 

The question becomes: am I better to pay $10 +/- for an extra GB every month, or do I get hit with a bill of up to $50 for the same amount of data on some occasions. Since my use varies between 750 MB and 1.3 GB, it is an easy choice for me, though likely not for many others.

EDIT: actually, with the current 1 GB free promotion, the first GB of overage is free!  The plan that cost $55 last month only had 1GB of data, now it has 2GB.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I wish Koodo will come up better data option like Fido.
Even if you go over a little  $7 for 300 MB is better than $5/100 MB.

You should post this as an "Idea"
I'll "Me too" it 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mayumi wrote:

I wish Koodo will come up better data option like Fido.
Even if you go over a little  $7 for...

One of the things I found interesting on the other site, was the comment that many folk hit their data limit on Day 22. This suggests those folk are under-estimating their data consumption by about 33%. 

Is $7 for 300MB and having to manage it a better deal than $10 for 1GB and not having to worry about it? I'd pay the 10 cents per day to not worry......

Userlevel 1
Thanks for your prompt replies.

I've been with Koodo for a few years, and my data overage rate on my $45/month 1GB data plan is $5/250 MB (which works out to $20/GB I guess).

The $5/100MB data overage rate appears to apply to new plans (I'd like to bring my daughter over from Bell, but that data overage rate is a strong disincentive ...)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
N. T. Diluvian wrote:

I've been with Koodo for a few years, and my data overage rate o...

For $5 more per month ($50) your daughter could have a Shock-free 2GB plan. She'd effectively get 1 GB of overage for $5! 
Userlevel 1
N. T. Diluvian wrote:

And if (when) she goes over?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
N. T. Diluvian wrote:

Just tell her she still only has 1gb or don't tell her you changed her plan and then she won't go over, especially since with shock free data she can't go over without telling Koodo she wants to use more data
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
N. T. Diluvian wrote:

She gets to make a decision:
[i] [i]Bernard[i], Official Rep
[i]We provide you with a choice when we pause your data. If you want to unblock you can buy [i]1GB for $20[i] right then and there by simply replying to the SMS or pay $5 for 100mb.  Or she can decide it is time for a plan with more data, and change to a new plan.

Or she can decide Koodo's plans do not meet her needs, and choose another provider which does.

Userlevel 1
N. T. Diluvian wrote:

Two things:. 1. Why not 1GB for $15 like Fido? 2. You clearly haven't met my daughter!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
N. T. Diluvian wrote:

1) Because different companies make different offers. Koodo offers Shock-free data; Fido doesn't. Comsi comsa.

2) If she's as unable to stay within a set of expectations as you've intimated, that's OK.