Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Changing plan shows worse prices than the plans advertised

I have one of the older plans. It's BYOD so I get the 10% discount so before it used to be the same price as the new plans so I didn't bother switching. Now, however, the plans are cheaper. I have $50/mo for unlimited everything and 1GB data + 10% off comes to $45/mo. I see now on the main Koodo website that they have a $40/mo for unlimited everything and 1GB data. I went to Self Serve and tried to switch to it but it only showed old plans. Then I realized there was a link I could click to see the "new plans" but they still weren't as good (showing $55/mo for the same plan!). What gives?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Andrew!

Are you in the good province? This plan is QC only I think. Also, do you have any negative tab? If you do, you would need to pay that off before having the right to chose a new plan.
Sorry I realized that it was showing the wrong province. I clicked a link which brought me to QC even though I'm not from there. I was wondering why it got so cheap. I guess I need to move to QC.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Andrew wrote:

Sorry I realized that it was showing the wrong province. I clicked a link which brought me to QC ...

If you are gonna move, more to MB/SK.

Check out their plans 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Haha, yeah plans in QC are cheaper because of the competition from other carriers. 2 days ago the 40$ plan was 35 actually!
Robert wrote:

Haha, yeah plans in QC are cheaper because of the competition from other carriers. 2 days ago the...

I think it is awful that Koodo discriminates against users based on where they live. For example, if you live in Montreal and go to McGill you are on the $35 Canada wide calling plan with 1GB of data.  During this time most of your calls are made in Montreal and back to Ontario;  you move back to Toronto and the majority of your calls end up being the same (Montreal and Ontario, and henceforth utilizing the same towers/infrastructure).  Although your usage is the same and the plan is the same, you end up paying 60% more because your address is in Toronto instead of Montreal.   I get that if products are different and infrastructure is different it would drive different costing but justifying higher costs exclusively on the basis of local competition is not cool in my books - or put another way, because we (Koodo) can charge more in Ontario we do.  Do others feel that they are being taken advantage of in the same way I do?   
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Haha, yeah plans in QC are cheaper because of the competition from other carriers. 2 days ago the...

Movie theaters, car dealerships, grocery stores, airlines, and even Walmart and McDonald's has different pricing depending on where you live. Superstore, Walmart, and McDonald's also have different pricing depending on location from within the same city too.
Robert wrote:

Regular prices yes but not Promotional prices.   Walmart and others have taken it a step further to eliminate these pricing discrepancies by honouring  other competitors' weekly flyer prices and then charging the brands/manufacturers back for the difference.  
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Walmart does not honour any flyers (including their own) if it is for a location outside of their area.

Superstore wont price match the cost of their own banana's from one store in the city to another store in the same city.

I agree overall that these regional pricing suck.  But they happen in many industries, not just wireless.  And if they do make a change, you know that it will not be in your favour.  They will just jack up the pricing in the other regions.  You can bet your pricing will not be lowered.

I have seen Koodo go through many changes in their plans and tabs the last 4 years.  Every time we think they make a change for the better (based on a customer's good idea or our own ideas), Koodo adds something extra to make it worse for the customer.

Ex. Larger tabs - there is not a tab charge.  Even more larger tabs - now there is a horrible Tab Large plan.  Dont include subsidies with the plans - Plans are lowered marginally to accommodate this, and phone prices are increased.

Change is rarely in the customers favour.  I just want Koodo to never change now.
Robert wrote:

Your first point about Wal-Mart isn't accurate as they don't check the fine print on every flyer and it isn't worth slowing down the line-ups to do so.

Either way, we both agree that we aren't fans of the way the pricing models are changed and spun at Koodo's customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

My walmart checks for some stupid reason