Feedback
certified pre-owned iPhone charge-port not working, koodo refusing to help | Koodo Community
Koodo Community
Question

certified pre-owned iPhone charge-port not working, koodo refusing to help

• 5 September 2021
  • 11 replies

Hey all! 

Really looking for some help here.

About a week and a half ago the charge-port of my certified pre-owned iphone 8+ stopped working. Ive had the phone for <6 months. After going back and forth between several koodo/telus locations and phone calls with the help line I eventually was able to have it sent in for repair, under warranty as Koodo supposedly guarantees the phones for a year. 

I just got it back today, not repaired, because they’re claiming that there was unauthorized mods to the phone so now it is not covered by warranty.  

Koodo is refusing to help me with the issue. even though their warranty states 

Certified Pre-Owned Phone Warranty

Every Certified Pre-Owned Phone purchased after November 10, 2020 includes a Certified Pre-owned warranty valid for a period of up to 1 year from the date of purchase**. We’ll cover the costs to repair any manufacturer’s defects for this period.

I have not made any mods since getting the phone, it is in excellent/ perfect condition and they were unable to give me any further details. this means that koodo sold me a phone with mods and essentially no warranty and now they are saying that to get more information there is a 125$ diagnostic fee. 

This feels like bad business practice, and I’m feeling pretty tired of being shuffled between in-person stores where employees redirect me to the call line, and then calling and being redirected to the store.

:( 

What are my options here? 

Any and all help is really appreciated, thanks community!! 

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey all! 

Really looking for some help here.

About a week and a half ago the charge-port of my certified pre-owned iphone 8+ stopped working. Ive had the phone for <6 months. After going back and forth between several koodo/telus locations and phone calls with the help line I eventually was able to have it sent in for repair, under warranty as Koodo supposedly guarantees the phones for a year. 

I just got it back today, not repaired, because they’re claiming that there was unauthorized mods to the phone so now it is not covered by warranty.  

Koodo is refusing to help me with the issue. even though their warranty states 

Certified Pre-Owned Phone Warranty

Every Certified Pre-Owned Phone purchased after November 10, 2020 includes a Certified Pre-owned warranty valid for a period of up to 1 year from the date of purchase**. We’ll cover the costs to repair any manufacturer’s defects for this period.

I have not made any mods since getting the phone, it is in excellent/ perfect condition and they were unable to give me any further details. this means that koodo sold me a phone with mods and essentially no warranty and now they are saying that to get more information there is a 125$ diagnostic fee. 

This feels like bad business practice, and I’m feeling pretty tired of being shuffled between in-person stores where employees redirect me to the call line, and then calling and being redirected to the store.

:( 

What are my options here? 

Any and all help is really appreciated, thanks community!! 

Since we have not diagnosed your phone, it is really hard for us to tell whether this is the case or not. If they are refusing to repair your iPhone at a Telus location, you can go to your local repair shop to have them take a look at your phone. In the meantime, I have flagged a Koodo rep to see whether they can help you out. 

Apple can and they told me they can see in their system who and where the phone was before Kodoo resold it. I always have the CRTC on my side. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Apple can and they told me they can see in their system who and where the phone was before Kodoo resold it. I always have the CRTC on my side. 

You can make a complaint, but they need to evaluate and see whether or not it fits the criteria according to their mandate. I can’t say for sure whether it will go through, but you can give it a try. 

Thanks, will do. Could you also please flag a koodo rep so that I can try and have this escalated?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks, will do. Could you also please flag a koodo rep so that I can try and have this escalated?

I already flagged one for you.

Thank you! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Hi there @CathG , Please schedule a callback : http://koodo.com/chat so that one of our agents can look in to this for you. 

One thing I would suggest doing is check the inside of the port for lint or build up 

Take a pin sized nail or sowing needle an gently dig an see If you pull anything 

Second suggestion would be to test another cable as some times the slips on the charger of the lighting cable stop working 

Hey! Thanks for your feedback, brought it in for a diagnostic and they said it would have to be replaced. Also, an update: I spoke with a rep on the phone (for over an hour) and the issue is resolved. TAB removed from my account due to Koodo essentially selling my a phone with no warranty and have now started a new tab with a new device. DONT GET CERTIFIED PRE OWNED. you’re basically playing roulette. 

Badge +4

One thing I would suggest doing is check the inside of the port for lint or build up 

Take a pin sized nail or sowing needle an gently dig an see If you pull anything

In my experience, a can of compressed air (computer duster) works well for removing loose lint and dust. For debris that is really lodged in there, plastic flossing sticks with soft silicon or rubber tips work well. Never put anything metallic into the charging port of your phone and make sure the phone is powered off when working on the charging port.

I am currently going through exactly the samething with my 3 month old I phone xr. Thanks for the info. At least I know there still hope that the phone will be able to get fixed.