Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Cannot switch to backup phone

I broke the screen of my Nexus 4 While I have it repaired, I want to use my old LG-P500h. Self serve does not want me to do the change saying the new hardware is not compatible with the old hardware, which makes no sense to me. Any hints on how to perform the temporary switch? My nexus has a sim card, the LG does not. could it be the issue?

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Yeah the LG not having a SIM card is definitely the issue. A lot of carriers are dropping the network band that supports the CDMA phones. CDMA phones are phones without SIM cards.
Userlevel 7
You can call customer service to see if they can override it and activate your old phone but it might not be able to. Just ask them.
Userlevel 5
Jonathan I wrote:

You can call customer service to see if they can override it and activate your old phone but it m...

It's possible actually! I don't remember the exact carriers that dropped the CDMA network over Christmas into the new year. Koodo may not have yet.
Badge +4
Userlevel 7
Ohh I didn't check the model #. Good catch. The OP only needs a different SIM.
You could get a micro to mini SIM adapter which snaps around the smaller SIM and makes it fit the bigger slot. That way you don't have to go through two extra SIMs just to swap back and forth. Use some care though - make sure the micro SIM doesn't pop out of the adapter while it's going in or out of the SIM slot, or there's a risk of damaging the SIM contacts in the older phone.