Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can we no longer change phones via self serve?

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No. There has been sufficient fraudulent activity surrounding SIM card changes, that Koodo now requires contact with a Customer Service Rep to complete this change.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You won't be charged 10$ for doing that with a service rep because you can't do it by yourself.!

So does that apply to changes between phones that use the same size sim (or ar in fact the same model phone) so all that's happening is the sim is being moved to a different phone, as well? Also when there are 2 different sims involved does the same "90 day" period before the unused sim expires apply?

TIA in advance for the additional info.
Penny
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Penny wrote:

So does that apply to changes between phones that use the same size sim (or ar in fact the same m...

If any used Koodo Sim does not hate the account tied to it (ie. used and not longer active), then there is a 90 day period where the sim must be used again on that line or it will expire
Userlevel 6
If the SIM will fit in the new phone, you can just move it over, and you’re good to go! You only need to change SIM cards of yours won’t fit in the new device.
OK Moved sim and mem card but can't make calls or txt? Calls say 'calls not allowed'. Any idea why? I checked the IMEI and got an OK. Same exact phone as the one I was using before.Older Nokia 3710....my 4th one and never had issues before or with the last one it was just dropped a few 100 times too many. Thanks
Is your new phone unlocked ?
Sold to me as unlocked. I tried to switch a Telus phone to Kodoo and it acted a lot differently than this one does. Will contact the seller to confrim and since I also have a PM account might try and see if it works there. My true wish is that someone would make an old style, small, feature flip phone that stands up to drops, dirt and various other farming "issues", will store over 1000 contacts with multiple phone numbers etc and that has useful features. Not everyone that needs to always have their phone on them works in "kind" enviroments nor spends time on FB, twitter etc. The assumption when you look for flip phones now is that you are old, poor, a small child and/or an occasional cell user .
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Penny wrote:

Sold to me as unlocked. I tried to switch a Telus phone to Kodoo and it acted a lot differently t...

Did the Telus phone work fine? Because if it's a 3710 and unlocked, there should be no issues. You could try another company's sim card and see if it says theb same thing or not. Was it factory unlocked or was it with another carrier?

There still are many feature flip phones available for purchase. You just have to make sure that it has 850/1900mhz 3G.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Penny wrote:

Sold to me as unlocked. I tried to switch a Telus phone to Kodoo and it acted a lot differently t...

There are ruggedized phones such as Sonim available as well.
Penny wrote:

Hi again! Have another 3710 phone and pretty much the same thing has happened...this time I get a slightly different message but it looks to me like I have to either get another sim card and start at the begining or get Koodo to do the transfer.....to exactly the same model etc phone. Does this mean I will be charged? Also since my cell is my only phone how do I do this......if I am using the old phone how can I change the card while talking on it? This was one of the reasons I stuck will Koodo for so long now after loosing my "small tab" and still paying the same $$/month meaning my bill actually went up $10 and options are dropping off as well perhaps it's time for a relook at cell phone providers. Very frustrating!
TIA for any additional advice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Penny wrote:

You don't get charged for something that you cannot do. It's still the same that you shouldn't need to get a new sim card so long as it fits in the phone. If you end up having to swap Sims can call in and ask to have it done. Then when it's done and you're disconnected just swap Sims.
Penny wrote:

The message I get on the "new phone" after swapping Sim is "sim registration failed" I'm assuing that means I have to re-register the sim card I've been using for 10 years???
Userlevel 6
Penny wrote:

That sounds like the phone is blacklisted. Are you sure the IMEI is ok? I have swapped many phones. Swap in the SIM and I was good to go, every time.
Penny wrote:

Hi Cory! Yes the IMEI is ok. I've done this before with 2 other Nokia 3710s with no trouble at all. Last time about 3 years ago. This time the first phone I bought the IMEI was fine as well. Transfered all my contacts etc put in the SIM and mem card and then it come up "can't make calls". Bought a second phone and this time get 'SIM registration failed'. Also I used to swap between 2 phones with dif sims no problem either. Maybe Koodo wants to get rid of old phones????
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Penny wrote:

No Koodo cannot just decide to make certain phones not work. They cannot force you to use Koodo sold phones and come December 1 it won't matter anyways. It's possible the sim crapped out. Does it work with other phones at all and have you tried putting another sim inherited phone to see if the problem follows?