Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Calling canada from Cuba

Anybody tried to make a call from Cuba to Canada on koodo phone (having the required add ons)

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What are the required add-ons you are talking about? Maybe it's not the good ones
The Long Distance and voice roaming add ons. One is 2$ per month and the other is free. If you don't have them, you won't be able to use your phone at all.
Userlevel 7
vienneaur wrote:

The Long Distance and voice roaming add ons. One is 2$ per month and the other is free. If you do...

Is it not working for you or something?
Userlevel 2
Hey Roger! That’s odd. It should work. Have you tried to remove/reinsert the battery as well as the Sim card? It refreshes the phone system. The issue could be linked with the Cuban Network, but it’s hard to say. We won’t be able to troubleshoot your phone as you’re already abroad 😞 Thanks.
Vincent wrote:

Hey Roger! That’s odd. It should work. Have you tried to remove/reinsert the battery as wel...

I am back from Cuba and the only number I wa able to call was voicemail. (press 1) on keypad. I was however able to send a text message to my landline number. All other calls were deemed "invalid numbers" by what sounded as a Cuban operator, whether I dialed 119-1-areacode+number or 1+areac+number.
I asked if anybody had tried it yet because of numerous comments on this forum about not being able to make calls or that you need a sim card from cubacel etc. I am going next week March 2nd so I wanted to check what's behind those coments/complaints. I will let everybody know after my trip.
I am finally back from Cuba and the only call that got through was my voice mail number (press 1) on keypad. All other numbers I tried to call using either 119-1-506-xxx-xxxx or 1-506-xxx-xxxx format were declared "invalid numbers" by what sounded as a cuban operator. Anybody has an explanation? Is it possible I had to entrr 001-506-xxx-xxxx. ps 506 is NB area code.
Userlevel 2
I would hope Koodo is looking into this...
mattjs wrote:

I would hope Koodo is looking into this...

We have the same issue right now, can't make outgoing calls to Canada. Everything else works (can receive incoming calls from Canada, can make calls to Cuban phone numbers...)
Userlevel 2
Hey Rogers! If you were able to access your Voicemail, then you were connected to the Cuban network. We have an agreement with Cuba with the following provider: Cubacel. In order to make a call from Cuba to Canada, here is the format to dial the number: 119-1-519-XXX-XXXX if that doesn’t work you can also try 119-519-XXX-XXXX. I see that you’ve mentioned dialing 119-1-519-XXX-XXXX that should have worked but didn’t, there was most likely an interference with their network. The following numbers would not have worked, due to being incorrect 001-519-XXX-XXXX or 1-519-XXX-XXXX. Hopefully this could bring some clarifications.
Vincent wrote:

Hey Rogers! If you were able to access your Voicemail, then you were connected to the Cuban n...

Hi Vincent, I guess you read my posting with the pictures. They show I tried every possible combination. Voicemail is the only one that worked (I got billed for 6 calls which is OK) and notice the + sign in front of the number. Any chance that would be the trick?
Userlevel 2
Vincent wrote:

Hey Rogers! If you were able to access your Voicemail, then you were connected to the Cuban n...

Hi Roger! You're right, that could be the reason. Thanks for your smart analysis.
You can - use the add image button in the bottom right of "Reply to This Topic" box.
Userlevel 1
Go into edit mode and remove the address of the image and the image will disappear. .
Userlevel 4
You have to make sure the symbol "+" is in front of the number or it won't dial. Try that. I had that problem in Kenya. So, dial +119-1-519-XXX-XXXX. That SHOULD work.
That will be for a next trip. However this info should be made readily available on koodo site.
Has there been any progress with this issue? Do I understand correctly that as long as I have the add-ons including international roaming and long distance I should be able to make a call to canada from cuba as long as i dial +119-1-519-XXX-XXXX??
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
+119 would not work. The + sign is automatically translated to the international dialing prefix for the local network. To reach Canada from anywhere worldwide, dial +1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.
careful we were there in dec and nothing worked and we all still got charged for it and now they will not reverse the charge
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Francine Gagnon wrote:

careful we were there in dec and nothing worked and we all still got charged for it and now they ...

Fancine. I find it weird that even if it didn't worked you got charged. If you tried to make your calls and it didn't connect then it's almost impossible you got charged for this. Maybe you got charged for texts or data?