Koodo Community
Solved

Call blocking feature - blocking Unknown

• 16 August 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi,

I’m using the new Call Blocking feature and I must say that so far I am quite impressed at the drastic drop in unwanted calls. However, I’m having an issue I cannot get past.

I have a caller whose ID is simply Unknown but I cannot block it. I have successfully blocked” “Unknown Caller”, but for some reason the system just will not accept the word single word “Unknown”.

Immediately after I was successful blocking Unknown Caller couple weeks ago this caller ID started showing up, so I suspect it is the same caller who is onto the this Call Blocking System and knows how to defeat it. They just call, don’t say a word, but I can hear typing and breathing for 10-15 seconds in a VM and then they disconnect. They call about every 3 days.

Any ideas? Or at the very least is there a way I can set up Unknown with a screening # and change it if they are ever successful in guessing it?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Dinh 17 August 2020, 04:39

Thank you for the prompt response. 

I have already done that. Perhaps my original post was not clear - I’m trying to stop this Unknown caller from leaving an empty VM in the first place.

Like I said, I managed to entirely block “Unknown Caller” from getting through, but the Call Blocking feature will not let me block simply “Unknown”. They are blocked on my phone, but that does not stop them from leaving a 10-15 second blank VM. THAT is what I’m trying to stop and I’m wondering if there is a way around this. 

Yes. I agree the call control feature needs the ability to block “Anonymous” or “Unknown Caller”.

Right now, I think you  have to block those calls at device level and the VM issue is troublesome unless you disable the VM altogether.

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello,

You can save it as a contact in your phone and after that try to block it from the settings of your device.

All the best,

Helen

I have already done that. Perhaps my original post was not clear - I’m trying to stop this Unknown caller from leaving an empty VM in the first place.

Like I said, I managed to entirely block “Unknown Caller” from getting through, but the Call Blocking feature will not let me block simply “Unknown”. They are blocked on my phone, but that does not stop them from leaving a 10-15 second blank VM. THAT is what I’m trying to stop and I’m wondering if there is a way around this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

By call blocking feature do you mean the one on your phone or the call control add-on from koodo?

the call control add-on. 

sorry, I guess I made the presumption that my first post made it obvious, but I can now see where it wasn’t quite clear.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yes. I agree the call control feature needs the ability to block “Anonymous” or “Unknown Caller”.

Right now, I think you  have to block those calls at device level and the VM issue is troublesome unless you disable the VM altogether.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Call control is designed to stop bot calls and cannot stop an actual person.  If you are hearing breathing, it seems that it is a real person calling you so there is no way to stop them from leaving a voicemail

Call control is designed to stop bot calls and cannot stop an actual person.  If you are hearing breathing, it seems that it is a real person calling you so there is no way to stop them from leaving a voicemail

That is not correct. Call control allows me to block any number I please, Bot, real person, or otherwise. Try it and you’ll see. 

If you read my initial post, I somehow managed to block the caller when the caller ID shows up as “Unknown Number” BUT Call Block will not allow me to block the caller when the ID shows up as simply the single word “Unknown”. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You are right.  You can block a number too

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/call-control?search_api_views_article_search_fulltext=call%20control

Userlevel 3

If you are really annoyed.  You might consider calling the police and make a harassment report!