Koodo Community

Bought SIMcard in store, but can't set up a monthly plan

• 17 August 2020
  • 19 replies

Hi there, we just moved to Canada from Europe and have been trying to get ourselves onto Koodo since week 1 (of 6 now). We bought 2 SIMcards in a Telus store -as we had to wait for our Canadian credit cards, as they don't except foreign credit cards- and were told we could easily make an account and start our monthly plans via the Koodo website once our credit cards woud be in. 

We tried to sign up online with the 2 purchased SIMcards, but to set up an account you need an account number that is either in your monthly bill or service agreement. As we have neither, we can't start up anything.

To set up your account you also need Your Koodo phone as they will need to verify your account by sending you a text message… and here we go again: we do not have a Koodo phone or phone number and the website's contact form doesn't take foreign phone numbers, which is all we have at this point.

I have left 2 requests via Koodo's chat function to call me back, but have not been called at all. So if there is anyone who can help us out, so that we can feel like we are part of Canada's mobile world soon, that would be great!

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Eh, from your description, are you trying to create a selfserve account before you receive the activation email from Koodo?  Have you received an activation email from Koodo yet?

If you bought  SIMs from a Telus store, were those SIM “activated” or “inactivated/blank SIM”? If those are blank SIMs, you cannot create an account with Koodo by going to selfserve account creation. You would have to follow the normal process https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_Plans and checkout as a new customer. They will send you new SIM and emails for you to activate your account.

Anyway, If you are new comer to Canada, you could check in with Public mobile (sister brand with Koodo/Telus and operates on the same network). They are prepaid and don’t require credit check. It might help if you don’t have credit history in Canada.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just to double check “I know you mentioned monthly plans” and waiting for Canadian credit cards but were you trying to signup for postpaid or prepaid? Prepaid can easily be done online and you can activate sim cards from home, postpaid ones require you to signup online and Koodo will then mail you your sim cards.

Hey Dinh,

Thanks for your reply. Yesterday I went back to the store to ask what I should do, as the first employee gave me the above story. Again one of the other employees said I had to set up an account online with my purchased Simcards. The only way to set up an account, as far as I know, is via Self Serve. Both employees told me I could set up an account and then sort out which plan I wanted. So something goes wrong if I have paid those 2 Simcards and was told I could easily set the rest up online with a still to create account, but then should have to pay for another Simcard?

Hey Allan,

Thanks for your reply too. When we purchased the Simcards we explained our situation (and had done our research before we went into the shop). They were aware we wanted to have a monthly postpaid plan and still told us we could take the two Simcards and get everything working online… I am just getting frustrated, as it isn't as easy as they made it look and as far as my info now goes, it seems I have to pay double for new Simcards too. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

“They were aware we wanted to have a monthly postpaid plan and still told us we could take the two Simcards and get everything working online… “

So, they sold you 2 monthly SIM cards without activate them?  Even tho they knew you can’t open a monthly account with foreign CC?  

How much did you pay for SIM?  Which location is it?

Also, you mentioned you don’t have cellphone.  Are you trying to buy it from other store or from Koodo...?

Hi Mayumi,

We paid 44 dollars for 2 simcards at a store in the North-Okanagan. We do have a cell phone, we don't have a Koodoo phone or phone nr. What do you recommend?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey Dinh,

Thanks for your reply. Yesterday I went back to the store to ask what I should do, as the first employee gave me the above story. Again one of the other employees said I had to set up an account online with my purchased Simcards. The only way to set up an account, as far as I know, is via Self Serve. Both employees told me I could set up an account and then sort out which plan I wanted. So something goes wrong if I have paid those 2 Simcards and was told I could easily set the rest up online with a still to create account, but then should have to pay for another Simcard?

Are those SIMs prepaid or postpaid SIMs? Although you mentioned postpaid, but I would suggest you double check.

If you bought at a store, the store rep should help you at the store. It is strange to hear that they let you go while you didn’t know about the process. It is the duty of the store rep to help you.

Anyway If you bought a prepaid account, you can activate it here https://activateprepaid.koodomobile.com/

If you bought  a postpaid account. You would have to keep it for replacement. You would have to open a new postpaid account online. They will send you new SIMs. (you could go to the link I mentioned above). Basically you wasted $44 on unused SIM at the store (if you bought postpaid SIM).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi Mayumi,

We paid 44 dollars for 2 simcards at a store in the North-Okanagan. We do have a cell phone, we don't have a Koodoo phone or phone nr. What do you recommend?

Your phone(s) is unlocked?  

So,now it's week 6, did you get Canadian credit card?

Wait. 2 SIMs for $42?   If they are postpaid SIM, they will charge you $40 connection fee for each. If they are prepaid SIM, then it should be $10 each because of promotion now.…

Can you check your SIM card? Does it say prepaid or postpaid?

The Simcards don't have anything written on them to identify if they are prepaid or postpaid simcards. It just says Standard Micro Nano. Is there any chance we can set up a prepaid and then change it to postpaid? Otherwise I am going to set up postpaid as soon as possible online and hope for a quick handling….

Our phones ar unlocked.

We have credit cards now, so should be able to start a postpaid. But not via customer service as I have tried to get a call back from Koodo, but it doesn't take my Dutch phone number… Koodo Customer service is not really buying me here…

Help :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Prepaid: 

Postpaid:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The Simcards don't have anything written on them to identify if they are prepaid or postpaid simcards. It just says Standard Micro Nano. Is there any chance we can set up a prepaid and then change it to postpaid? Otherwise I am going to set up postpaid as soon as possible online and hope for a quick handling….

Our phones ar unlocked.

We have credit cards now, so should be able to start a postpaid. But not via customer service as I have tried to get a call back from Koodo, but it doesn't take my Dutch phone number… Koodo Customer service is not really buying me here…

You can indeed sign up for prepaid and then swap to postpaid whenever is easiest for you. No balances or anything will be carried over though so for example if you sign up on a $25 prepaid plan and use it for 1 day before you switch to postpaid, you don’t get the $25 or any portion of that to swap over to your postpaid account when you make it.

Can you go back to the store and sign up for your accounts there now that you have your Canadian credit cards? That may be the easiest and quickest option for you.

Ah we have a post paid Simcard, based on your photos. I think we probably need to pay the extra fee in store to get it settled. Pretty hard otherwise, because we still don't have an account number to use to set up the Self Serve, right?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Ah we have a post paid Simcard, based on your photos. I think we probably need to pay the extra fee in store to get it settled. Pretty hard otherwise, because we still don't have an account number to use to set up the Self Serve, right?

Yea thats right. Your two options would either be to:

A) Go in store and have them create the accounts and have everything setup and ready to go. Connection fee

B) Order online and wait for new sim cards to be shipped to you. No connection fee.

You can call ahead to the store first and see if they have any promotions going on in which they can waive that fee for you though as sometimes that is something that happens.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

A) Go in store and have them create the accounts and have everything setup and ready to go. Connection fee

B) Order online and wait for new sim cards to be shipped to you. No connection fee.

@Allan

They already paid for SIM without activation. If they go back to the store and ask them activate it now, do they need to pay activate/ connection fee again?

Still puzzling why it was $40 for 2 SIM cards thou...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Allan

They already paid for SIM without activation. If they go back to the store and ask them activate it now, do they need to pay activate/ connection fee again?

Still puzzling why it was $40 for 2 SIM cards thou...

Hopefully the store will return the sim cards so they can get that money back. I cant remember off the top of my head the price but I think postpaid sims may be $20 each? Thats the only thing that makes sense to me at least.

I am afraid we need to do it that way then. Is this normal to customer service here? Sorry, don't want to sound very blunt, but just feel pretty shitty about this whole process. I thought we were helped (twice!) in a store, but obviously not… I just want a phone number… that's all ;)

Thanks for thinking along with me though!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It usually good. I'm surprised how those store rep(s) handling this way.

You can follow Allan's suggestion and hopefully they will help you to activate SIM or open an account for you. ( They still have to do credit check on you tho, and if you are good to go, then they can activate your SIM cards)

Or Koodo have prepaid service if you can't sign up for postpaid. It's easy to set up your account 😀.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am afraid we need to do it that way then. Is this normal to customer service here? Sorry, don't want to sound very blunt, but just feel pretty shitty about this whole process. I thought we were helped (twice!) in a store, but obviously not… I just want a phone number… that's all ;)

Thanks for thinking along with me though!

Definitely not normal by any means and unfortunate that you’ve been told the wrongful information you have. I think the reps in-store were confused between what can actually be done online or maybe a confusion between prepaid and postpaid.

If you choose to go in store, see if you can get the money back for your sims, since you have Canadian credit cards now ask for the accounts to be setup then and there, and you should have no problem at all leaving the store with usable Canadian phone numbers. (Oh and don’t forget to ask if they can waive that pesky connection fee for you as well).

Fingers crossed you get it all sorted and without much other hassle!