Koodo Community

Community

Allow multiple SIM cards to be registered for one line in Self-Serve

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Alright, maybe this is a "Mobile Master problem", but I had multiple devices even before I became one so maybe it's of interest to a wider audience. When I wish to change a phone, I have two options: 1. Physically swap SIM card. Doing this on a regular basis exponentially increases the risk of causing damage to the contacts inside the SIM tray. Plus, I use phones with 3 different SIM formats so adapters are necessary (which can also damage the SIM reader). All in all, I avoid this method. 2. Have multiple SIM cards and change the active card via Self Serve (what I do currently). I have a file on my OneNote keeping track of my SIM#s, but it's really a tedious process. My proposal: Allow us to register multiple SIM cards per line, but limit only one to be active at a time. Then, when we want to change our SIM#, we can just select from a list. To borrow from an idea posted by Chad, nicknaming each SIM card would make it even easier. Any interest in something like this?

26 replies

Userlevel 4
I would be all for this. I used to have the Note then upgraded to the Nexus 4. I still want to use my Note as a back up but it takes a standard size SIM. It would be very handy/convenient to be able to have your idea come into effect
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

I would be all for this. I used to have the Note then upgraded to the Nexus 4. I still want to us...

You upgrade to the Nexus 4? Personally I think you downgraded from the Note.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

I would be all for this. I used to have the Note then upgraded to the Nexus 4. I still want to us...

From the original Note it'sa huge uupgrade, the original Note lagged quite a bit where as the Nexus 4 has virtuallyno lag what so ever. If it was the Note 2 or 3 that wwould be a different story but the originaljust ddidn't have the processing power or RAM especially that it needed to run the mass of features Samsung packed into that phone. Also the display ontthe original Note was pretty bad looking compared to the Nexus 4. So I'd say after having both of those phones myself it was definitely a sizable upgrade
Userlevel 3
Awesome idea! I like this!
Userlevel 3
I really like e idea but see a possibility for abuse. Maybe I'm overlooking something? Say my wife and I have two SIMs on one plan. Say she takes the train and uses her phone. Then she gets to work and turns off the phone. Then I go online and switch the SIM so I can use her data and minutes via the second SIM. Voila, unofficial family plan but I don't think Koodo is going to be thrilled at losing the second plan payment. Granted it only works in limited circumstances so it's possible it's not really an issue. Switching the physical SIM means you have to have both devices physically present but I see the problem with damaging the SIM, especially when you use an adapter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Moonmack wrote:

I really like e idea but see a possibility for abuse. Maybe I'm overlooking something? Say my w...

What you're describing isn't possible. This only makes it easier to do what is currently possible via Self Serve. You could not use her plan without her SIM card, which is still physically inside her phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
To add to this, maybe have the SIM card not expire after 90 days if it is registered for the line
Userlevel 6
I wholeheartdely agree with Ivan because this has been a pet peeve of mine for some time too! It would make things quicker/easier/you-name-it. I, too, wholeheartedly agree with Dennis' idea! It would avoid rendering a SIM useless if you forget it into some phone for more than 90 days. What could be better? Both ideas implemented! A full year expiry on SIMs (when not associated with a line), and the possibility to have many SIMs on one line (without expiry)!
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

I wholeheartdely agree with Ivan because this has been a pet peeve of mine for some time too! It...

I have paid off my tab for first phone and got new second phone from KOODO with new sim card (old is not compatible with new phone). I did activation new phone with new sim to check all features of the phone, then got back to old phone planning to use it till end of year. Tomorrow I tried to replace phone (new year-new phone) and found that error message popped up (SIM number is invalid). The self service was not accepted sim card number. Called to customer service, they state that the sim could be activated only once, and now it is expired. Sad. Advised to buy new sim card from koodo kiosk. Is it right? If so, I could not keep two sim cards/two phones for line
Userlevel 7
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

I wholeheartdely agree with Ivan because this has been a pet peeve of mine for some time too! It...

Yes thats right. You need to switch between sim cards at least once every 90 days or you have to get a new sim card. It looks like you waited too long.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Awesome idea, I'm all for it too (though truth be told, I don't think any provider every allowed this). Prepaid SIMs are not even recoverable - once another one is activated, the old SIM is garbage 😞
Userlevel 5
Yeah I'd be down for this! Great idea!
Userlevel 7
Also include the last time activated date since they expire after 6 months. Or have inactive cards fall off the account automatically after six months.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Would love to see this with just a simple list and a check box. Right now I keep a file of them and then just copy and paste the # when a device change is needed. This would be so much easier, great idea Ivan
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Damn I guess this got shot down 😞 Still it was a great idea Ivan
Userlevel 6
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

Damn I guess this got shot down 😞 Still it was a great idea Ivan

It sucks when we see a "Not Planned" ribbon appear 😞 Especially since it's not related to better plan pricing or things related to money.
Userlevel 2
You can register multiple SIM cards to one line, just not at the same time. This is due to a system limitation. For example you can have 3 separate SIM cards attached to one number, and as long as they are used within 90 days, they will remain active.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

You can register multiple SIM cards to one line, just not at the same time. This is due to a syst...

Ya we all do that but it would be so much handier to be able to enter say 3 of them in self serve so all 3 are saved there with a check box beside each one and you can just check off which one you want to use. Then you just have to log in & check one of the 3 you have listed and then log out and away you go. It would be extremely convenient as more and more ppl are using multiple devices.
Userlevel 2
Myke wrote:

You can register multiple SIM cards to one line, just not at the same time. This is due to a syst...

I see what you mean. It would be handier, bit it still may be limitations that prevent it from being possible.
Userlevel 7
Myke wrote:

I doubt there is an actual limitation on making a drop down menu to pick and choose a list of SIM #'s to be inputted in the "SIM card #" field. It sounds as simple as a bit of coding. (or a lot) but not complicated coding
Userlevel 2
Myke wrote:

It is a limitation because the system only allows for one. And it's not as simply as doing additional coding because it also has to be reflected in the program the we Agents use to pull up the account.
Myke wrote:

so then how do you activate the second sim? i just got a gear s and want a nano sim on my existing line to use with the watch when i choose to leave my phone at home or in the office while out.
Userlevel 7
Myke wrote:

You'd have to write down the SIM numbers somewhere and the night you're going to use the watch only you'd login to self serve and choose handset swap. Then input the watches SIM number in the system. That will migrate your service to the nano SIM within 15 minutes (though it's usually instant). When you are ready just use the same procedure and enter the SIM number from your other device. Devices should be restarted after you do the switching.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is all old news, "not planned" a year ago by Koodo. Quicker and easier for some. Less so for others. Another source of "why is my phone just now not working. My boyfriend used it last night and it was fine..." Probably shot down because it wasn't worth the effort. If they did it, it would probably involve extra fees like the satellite TV providers charging extra monthly for receivers beyond the first. Would then probably have to lock SIM to a particular IMEI and everyone else migrating to a new phone would have a chance to complain.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I did about 10 minutes' research on wiki and found it's possible to clone or counterfeit SIM cards... not easily done by the casual user, but that process might appeal/be available to those heavily embedded in the business, such as those who might have a legitimate need for numerous SIMs. I can see why Koodo would not want to inadvertently give away the store. Also why unused SIMS have an expiry date.