Koodo Community
Question

Absurd Data Usage

• 21 October 2021
  • 13 replies

Today while at work in the middle of my shift I got a text from Koodo saying I’ve used 50% of my data for the month. I am 5 days into my billing cycle and have TWO data manager apps to monitor my usage. Both read that I have used 1.2 gbs total for the 5 day period. But according to Koodo I have used 8 gbs of data in the span of an hour or two (during a time when i wasn’t using my phone at all). I setup a callback from one of their reps and they are trying to tell me that the usage is legitimate and they can’t do anything about it. They can’t tell me what app just happened to use 8 GBS of data while my phone wasn’t even being used. I am deeply annoyed and concerned that I am going to be robbed of my remaining 8gbs of data tomorrow at sometime. I have never had an issue with over-using data, and none of my apps have the things that could cause this like “backround refresh” and whatnot. I can’t believe that Koodo’s reps have absolutely no answers, or solutions. My experience with this rep was terrible. It was as if he was trolling me, trying to say “sucks to be you and I’m not helping you”. I have been with Koodo for 13 years and will be cancelling my service now. I am completely disgusted with this company.

This topic has been closed for comments

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Today while at work in the middle of my shift I got a text from Koodo saying I’ve used 50% of my data for the month. I am 5 days into my billing cycle and have TWO data manager apps to monitor my usage. Both read that I have used 1.2 gbs total for the 5 day period. But according to Koodo I have used 8 gbs of data in the span of an hour or two (during a time when i wasn’t using my phone at all). I setup a callback from one of their reps and they are trying to tell me that the usage is legitimate and they can’t do anything about it. They can’t tell me what app just happened to use 8 GBS of data while my phone wasn’t even being used. I am deeply annoyed and concerned that I am going to be robbed of my remaining 8gbs of data tomorrow at sometime. I have never had an issue with over-using data, and none of my apps have the things that could cause this like “backround refresh” and whatnot. I can’t believe that Koodo’s reps have absolutely no answers, or solutions. My experience with this rep was terrible. It was as if he was trolling me, trying to say “sucks to be you and I’m not helping you”. I have been with Koodo for 13 years and will be cancelling my service now. I am completely disgusted with this company.

Have you taken a look at your phone to see which apps used the most data?

I don’t think it really matters as I don’t reset my iPhones statistics for data usage. In fact it hasn’t been reset since 2014. I don’t really use that much data ever, and never have. Max each month I use 10 of my 16 gbs. 

How could I use that much data in such a short amount of time 1) Without using my phone and 2) Without either of my data manager apps registering any of it.? 

I feel like Koodo must be registering the wifi I use as mobile data or something. There’s just no way I could use 8gbs of data in that amount of time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I don’t think it really matters as I don’t reset my iPhones statistics for data usage. In fact it hasn’t been reset since 2014. I don’t really use that much data ever, and never have. Max each month I use 10 of my 16 gbs. 

How could I use that much data in such a short amount of time 1) Without using my phone and 2) Without either of my data manager apps registering any of it.? 

I feel like Koodo must be registering the wifi I use as mobile data or something. There’s just no way I could use 8gbs of data in that amount of time. 

Did you recently change your plan?

Not for over one year.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Not for over one year.

I’m not sure why that is the case. I flagged a Koodo rep to help you out. 

I appreciate that thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You said you are 5 days into your billing cycle but your data manager says you have 27 days left.

Are you sure your billing cycle is set correctly? What does it say in your self serve? 

I said 5 days because I made this post at like 11pm. Today is my 5th day into the cycle. My apps are working fine. The problem 100% is with Koodo I would bet my life on it.

I should also add that this also happened to me at the end of my last billing cycle, where one day while I was asleep and not using my phone, somehow 7gbs of data was used (while also connected to wifi). Yet no “shock free data” texts were sent to me. I had to call customer service to have them turn those alerts back on. My data manager apps for that cycle also read that I had used 40% of my monthly allotment, whereas Koodo said I was at 90% used. I knew something wasn’t right but seeing as at the time I had only a couple days left until the new cycle I just brushed it off as an anomaly. Regretting that decision now. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi there @Cody Shakeshaft, We have checked with the appropriate TECH team and the results clearly show that Phone was not on Hotspot, and it was using LTE for over 2 hours. So it definitely seemed to have come from an app/update/download, from within the phone. We know that you have mentioned that you didn’t reset your app usage settings, but we still suggest to check on Settings > Cellular and find the Top Offender app(s) , when you click on the apps, it will show you the usage and dates and times. This way you will be able to pin point what exactly is using all that data. We hope this helps. 

Not possible as I have automatic updates turned off. Background app refresh is off. Also if it had used the data legitimately then surely one of my multiple data manager apps would have logged that data usage. It still clearly shows 1.2 gbs used for the current billing cycle. Like I said, if this isn’t addressed in a way other then “our investigation shows that you used LTE for over two hours” I will be canceling my service with you after 13 years. 

Funny how this has never happened in the 13 years I’ve been with your company, and my usage habits have never changed, yet somehow all of a sudden you claim I’ve used 8 GBS of data while not using my phone and at work. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I think the claim is not that you purposely used the data but that the phone did. Sometimes an app updates and the settings reverse.

I highly suggest you reset your iPhone's data counter to see how it matches your other data managers. If they match then your case is stronger. 

Right now you have info that says data is not used and koodo has info that says data is used. Let's use the phone's data counter as the neutral measure.