Koodo Community
Question

Upgrading Phone - TabPlus

• 6 November 2023
  • 7 replies

I have a Samsung s10 and my plan is from April, 2020 and costs about $45/m plus taxes and such.

Clicked to upgrade phone, certified pre-own, S22 Ultra and it has a special promo offer of Tab Plus and I think $33/m tab, $590 tab bonus and $29 upfront. Not bad, add to the cart to see what my final totals will be and at the top says I can't do this with my plan, only basic works and $590 up front... Plus instead of $29 up front with Tab Plus it's $38+tx so even if Tab Plus deal worked the numbers went up.

So... What's the deal?

I complained months ago about a friend switching to Kodoo getting a better monthly deal than me a current customer, was told to wait a few months for cheap deals to pop up that never did, and now trying to price an upgrade after 3-4yrs and the promo it throws up I can't use unless I swap to a pricier plan with features I won't use anyway. 

Is it not worth it to stay with a company anymore? Instead, if you want a new phone get a new company? 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Promotions vary throughout the year, with the best deals normally available during Black Friday or Christmas week.

If you are looking for a deal and still want to stay with Koodo, you can wait until then. If not, you can as well look around to see the other carrier offers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I never advocate for blind brand loyalty. If any company providing a service isn’t giving you the best value for your money, look for the best value.

As for what’s the deal, you’re seeing the offer based on higher tabs, which require higher paying plans. Tab basic rarely offers the same deals. You can look around at the site to see basic vs medium/plus tabs. Sometimes, especialyl during Black Friday, basic can offer deals, but it really depends on the phone.

Well, last time I posted I was told to wait for deals, that was half a year ago. And as far as switching companies, that’s fine, except I can’t carry my number over and that poses a few issues.

TAB deals I don’t get… my niece has almost the same plan as me, maybe older, and when she clicked it gave her the same deal as me but let her use that deal when she went to the checkout to se the final numbers. I clicked the same phone and deal and at checkout it said too bad, can’t use the deal. 

That’s where I’m a bit PO’d… not understanding how we both are with Koodo, both have the saame phone, both clicked the same phone and she gets the deal and I have to switch plans to something that costs more because it has more data/features, even though I use maybe 300mb a month and sometimes voicemail. I don’t need to switch from 1-2Gb to 10Gb or unlimited if only used 300mb.

And as far as switching companies, that’s fine, except I can’t carry my number over and that poses a few issues.

Why can't you carry your number over?

Dunno, last time I was asking about plans and switching I was told switching over to someone else or cancelling here and restarting again as a new customer meant losing your number.

That said, I’m limited anyways. Very small village (hamlet technically) and we have BELL towers in the area, but half as many ROGERS and a a result, I was with FIDO and ROGERS and neither could barely get a signal out here. Missed calls, delayed texts, etc… if I switched it would have to be to someone using BELL/TELUS towers. Virgin/PC? I think do. BELL is a no go… used them a few times and just not switching to them directly again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@THRobinson 

Upon checking, your current plan is an older plan that is no longer compatible with tab plus or mid, it can be kept only if the renewal is made on tab basic.

The plan eligibility for a specific tab may change over time. The updated eligibility can be consulted here https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Keeping-or-changing-your-plan-when-you-upgrade-your-phone

Dunno, last time I was asking about plans and switching I was told switching over to someone else or cancelling here and restarting again as a new customer meant losing your number.

When you switch cell phone companies the new provider will port your existing number over - just a FYI.