Koodo Community

phone scam ?

Not sure if it's a scam or not, but it sure feels like one.

I do think this is Telus though as they had to much of my information which I did not provide them like my koodo account. 

Recieved a call from telus promotions to switch my koodo account over to Telus and get a new phone. They had all my details and had me order a phone through my Koodo account. They even knew about the recent promotion Koodo offered me. Which i verified was a legit offer from koodo. The phone was not one I actually wanted and they said they would update it on there end. It never happened and I had to send the phone back through UPS.  Now I don't have the phone, I have a 1400 charge on my account.  Thankfully I kept the tracking number which I gave to Koodo twice now, which they did not record on my account like they said they would. They can even see it was returned. Telus tried the same thing again, but I canceled the order. They knew right away I canceled and phoned me right away but i just hung up. Koodo is telling me I have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for this issue to may be clear and my only other option to update my phone is to pay the bill. If they don't update there system before the next billing cycle  I am still liable to pay for the phone I don't have.

They can see I have returned the phone so it should not take 4 to 6 weeks and if this is a scam they need to protect there customer way better. As I did not provide them my information they already had it.

I will be seeking legal authorities to deal with this if it's not delt with in a timely manner. As customers should be protected.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You were charged for the full price of the phone on your bill? Despite returning it? If I understand correctly, you're trying to get a phone that you do want, but cannot until the charge for a phone you returned is off your bill?

That would be correct.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So I am not sure if this is Telus or Koodo issue. If Telus sent you a phone, you would be dealing with Telus and not Koodo. You mentioned Telus was trying to contact you but you hung up and didn't speak to them? Have you tried to reach the Telus promotion department that offered you phone?

I’ve specifically requested I receive no more marketing calls from koodo or telus. It basically almost turned into harassment every month some deal. Listen…. I’m working, I’m busy, I have call control so anyone I don’t know doesn’t keep robo-calling me.

What’s disappointing with koodo is every iphone I’m interested in to upgrade is out of stock. Why even list them on the website, delete them until available or add a listing function for “in-stock only”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’ve specifically requested I receive no more marketing calls from koodo or telus. It basically almost turned into harassment every month some deal. Listen…. I’m working, I’m busy, I have call control so anyone I don’t know doesn’t keep robo-calling me.

What’s disappointing with koodo is every iphone I’m interested in to upgrade is out of stock. Why even list them on the website, delete them until available or add a listing function for “in-stock only”.

Is it a robot or a person?  If it is a robot, then I dont think it is Koodo.

I’ve talked to a few of my friends who are either telus or koodo mobile customers and they all agree that telus is being too aggressive with calling customers offering “deals”. For instance how is telus smart hub @ 200mbps going to compete with my 1gb eastlink connection…. how is cheaper telus service at low speed going to help me. I don’t need these calls. I have no telus cables on our telephone poles. I don’t know how many times I’ve explained to telus that I’m not in Vancouver. I’m rural sunshine coast. it’s coming down to a matter of principle that if I get one more call I’m going to cut off any/all telus services. Telus CEO needs to listen to their customers and stop harassment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Dude, to be fair, even I thought you were in West Van.

If your account suggests you are in Vancouver, this could be the issue.

I am currently in Alberta and I have received no calls.

When they do call, did you tell them to remove you from marketing calls?

Another option is to block their number

I asked telus and koodo (twice) to remove me. Finally had a call today to fill out the do-not-call with marketing form.

My handle has been that for since gmail was a thing. Moved out of the city in 2020 like many to get away from high taxes and bs.

Koodo doesn’t know my handle, they have my email and current mailing address which is not Vancouver. 🤷

The point is…. there’s a lotta room for improvement here.

Now if only they would sell me that out of stock Iphone14 pro max??!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is your phone number a BC number? 

But yeah at this point I would just block their number 

I’ve had the same number since 34 years and yes it’s a bc number. Originally telusmobility for more than 2 decades until they started ripping me off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yeah that makes sense. The marketing folks are likely filtering by area code.

Can't be mad at them for that. It's not like a super egregious error for them to assume you are in BC and offering you BC deals.