Koodo Community
Question

can I buy a phone in the USA?

• 16 November 2022
  • 3 replies

I need to buy a new phone for my Koodo Prepaid account.  Can I buy an unlocked phone in the USA and swap my SIM card?  Or do I absolutely need to buy my phone in Canada?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I need to buy a new phone for my Koodo Prepaid account.  Can I buy an unlocked phone in the USA and swap my SIM card?  Or do I absolutely need to buy my phone in Canada?

Yes, you can buy it in the U.S. and use it on the Koodo network. Make sure the phone is unlocked or else it will not work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Any phone that has the frequency bands wi work in general. There's no particular requirement for location of the purchase or anything like that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Any handset compatible with AT&T or T-Mobile will be fine. Certain Verizon and Sprint units may be problematic. But all have to be unlocked.

Given a choice,  prefer T-Mobile since they do a better job with software updates. Recently bought an LG Velvet 5G and all software got updated to current, including Android version, with no hassle.

You may have to disable or hide certain proprietary apps like Visual Voicemail to maintain a cleaner homescreen. A resource checker:

https://www.t-mobile.com/resources/bring-your-own-phone