Koodo Community

Yay! an update to be excited about!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Great news, fellow prepaid users... Koodo has updated the $15 base plan to include 250MB data and the $25 plan now has 500MB of data.

There is a very small catch though: you will have to manually change to the new base plan - I suggest you wait till the last day before the old one expires so you won't lose out on remaining days. I just updated mine from self service and I now have the data addon, so I know it works 😄

Awesome news, thanks Koodo! 😍

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Great news. Thank you Sophia letting us know this.
I don't check prepaid page that often, so I would miss out this great chance 🙂
Userlevel 3
What happens to existing talk and data boosters? I bought a ton of them for my husband's account and wouldn't want to lose them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What happens to existing talk and data boosters? I bought a ton of them for my husband's account and wouldn't want to lose them.
If you change your plan, your booster would stay intact. You can take advantage of the new plan and keeping all the minutes/data from the boosters.
Userlevel 3
Oh great. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
.... I suggest you wait till the last day before the old one expires so you won't lose out on remaining days.

Important to note: if you change your baseplan, you start a new billing cycle immediately and lose any remaining time on the previous one. Baseplans are not cumulative, pro rata or refundable.
Does the money in the balance stay as well?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Does the money in the balance stay as well?
WHat do you mean? When you change your baseplan the money is taken out from your balance immediately
Never mind, I got confused.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just to confirm (though it's been said above): yes, any boosters and balance you may have will remain. You won't lose your auto top up bonus either. There really is no catch or downside at all... except as mentioned, you will need to change your plan manually. When you do that, you will lose any unused days on your old plan so you're best off to change your plan on the 29th day of your billing cycle.
A co-worker switched and lost their 1000min booster.
They had to call and argue to get it back.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That should not be the case, but prepaid is known to be glitchy. Maybe take a screenshot of everything before proceeding
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Exactly - it definitely didn't happen to me. I bought countless double boosters in 2013 which are still not used up, plus a double booster when they offered it a year ago or so, plus a one time bonus for auto top up AND a couple of bonus double US boosters. They're all still there... so definitely a glitch in your friend's account. Glad they received it back though!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That should not be the case, but prepaid is known to be glitchy. Maybe take a screenshot of everything before proceeding

My gawwwd, don't tell me we're back to that black hole again.

PLEASE, before making any changes take a screen shot of your current boosters, in the phone usage tab. That's what the service reps can see on their screen. Fixes/repairs up to $## in value can be relatively hassle-free.

Lost a whole bunch of stuff during an on-line purchase that was quickly restored except for one item I didn't notice the first time around. The rep did such a fine job in doing the rest that I just let it slide by since he had reached his authorization limit.
Userlevel 3
Just to confirm (though it's been said above): yes, any boosters and balance you may have will remain. You won't lose your auto top up bonus either. There really is no catch or downside at all... except as mentioned, you will need to change your plan manually. When you do that, you will lose any unused days on your old plan so you're best off to change your plan on the 29th day of your billing cycle.

Thanks for the info, Sophia!

I will definitely be making screenshots before changing baseplans, but wondering how the auto-top thing works when manually changing to this new $15 base plan with 250MB data.

Let's say one of my baseplans expires end of day June 13. So on June 11 or 12 I manually change to the new plan. Will the $15 auto top up do a new $15 top up immediately after the manual plan change? Can you explain how this will work?

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just to confirm (though it's been said above): yes, any boosters and balance you may have will remain. You won't lose your auto top up bonus either. There really is no catch or downside at all... except as mentioned, you will need to change your plan manually. When you do that, you will lose any unused days on your old plan so you're best off to change your plan on the 29th day of your billing cycle.Thanks for the info, Sophia!

I will definitely be making screenshots before changing baseplans, but wondering how the auto-top thing works when manually changing to this new $15 base plan with 250MB data.

Let's say one of my baseplans expires end of day June 13. So on June 11 or 12 I manually change to the new plan. Will the $15 auto top up do a new $15 top up immediately after the manual plan change? Can you explain how this will work?

Thanks!

If you manually change your plan you are technically starting a new plan with a new billing date so the top up will be 30 days from June 11 or 12 instead of 30 days from June 13
Userlevel 3

If you manually change your plan you are technically starting a new plan with a new billing date so the top up will be 30 days from June 11 or 12 instead of 30 days from June 13

So just to clarify, when I manually change on June 12, there is an immediate $15 charge since it is starting a new billing date and the auto-top up is reset and will resume 30 days later?

Just want to ensure there isn't a $15 immediate plan change and then the original auto-top which would have been a few days later kicks in and I get double billed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Right, exactly. You definitely won't get double billed - that is the reason why you're best off to change your plan as late as possible. Your new top up date will definitely be 30 days from your plan change - not the original date 🙂
Userlevel 3
Right, exactly. You definitely won't get double billed - that is the reason why you're best off to change your plan as late as possible. Your new top up date will definitely be 30 days from your plan change - not the original date :)

Ok great.

One last thing, do I need to add $15 to my account before doing the manual plan change like I do before buying boosters or will the system just bill my CC then the $15?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Right, exactly. You definitely won't get double billed - that is the reason why you're best off to change your plan as late as possible. Your new top up date will definitely be 30 days from your plan change - not the original date :)Ok great.

One last thing, do I need to add $15 to my account before doing the manual plan change like I do before buying boosters or will the system just bill my CC then the $15?

You need to have $15 in your account before you can change your plan
Userlevel 3
Update: Successfully moved one line over to the new $15 w/ 250MB plan using the info in this thread. Boosters remained in tact (took screen shots thou) and the system instantly credited the 10% amount for the manual transaction which I wasn't expecting! :)

Another few to go later this month and have been spreading the word to others as well.

Thanks all! ...and Koodo too...
Userlevel 3
Can anyone comment what happens to unused data from the 250MB included each month? I assume it does not carry-over and is reset to 250MB every 30 days?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Can anyone comment what happens to unused data from the 250MB included each month? I assume it does not carry-over and is reset to 250MB every 30 days?
That's correct. It's resets every 30 days
Userlevel 3
Update: successfully moved over another line to the new 250MB $15 plan without any issues! 🙂
When you change to this new prepaid plan, what happens when you use up all of your 250MB allotment of data. Will Koodo look for more data from your Booster add-on?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
When you change to this new prepaid plan, what happens when you use up all of your 250MB allotment of data. Will Koodo look for more data from your Booster add-on?
Yes, plan first, boosters second.