Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Will the prepaid data booster works with Blackberry Bold 9900 (OS7.1.0.746)

Thinking about switching to Koodo prepaid service; currently I have a blackberry Bold 9900 unlocked (Rogers), and my current smart phone data plan works well on the Rogers network (Not the BB data), just wondering if anyone know if the prepaid booster data will work on Bold 9900? I know the Q&A section showing NO for blackberry Curve 3G, but I tried Rogers/Telus/T-Mobile smartphone data on my 9900, all worked. Thanks in advance.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No. Prepaid data will not work with ANY pre BB-10 Blackberry.
Userlevel 2
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

It would work wouldn't it? Just no access to BIS services (push email, BBM, etc,,,), but the browser, facebook, twitter, etc., should be good to go......?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

No, it won't. Pre BB-10 devices require a connection to the RIM server to do anything involving 3G data. This isn't available for prepaid devices. Unless you're on wifi, you aren't getting on the internet.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Mattjs, the BIS services nvr worked for me on Rogers smartphone data plan (Internet works on 3G) , and I don't really care, as long as internet works, that is enough for me. However, I have heard that some provider will block the data on blackberry, which will only allow BIS data to go through. It is not the case on Rogers/Telus/TMobile. Since Koodo runs on Telus backend, I thought it may work? Just want to be sure before I switch.
Userlevel 7
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

I don't know how Rogers operates and it really doesn't matter how they do. The only BlackBerry's that will work are the BlackBerry Z10, Q10 and Q5. I know you're trying to be hopeful, but it just won't work unfortunately. Also " have heard that some provider will block the data on blackberry, which will only allow BIS data to go through." If data is blocked on blackberry, there can't be any BIS access. ALL networks, no exceptions.
Userlevel 2
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

I've popped many foreign sim cards (no BIS) into BB 6 & 7 devices and data services always worked. No BIS services of course, like push email or BBM, but every thing else like facebook, BB Maps, Browser, had no issues.
Userlevel 7
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Not here in Canada
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

"NOT HERE IN CANADA?" That is interesting, as I mentioned earlier, I am currenlty on Rogers smartphone data plan and all NON-BIS services are working on 3G (Internet, 3rd party email client and google map). Same for Telus and T Mobile (tried both with my 9900 and smartphone data).
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Anyway, I think I will just go and pick up a Koodo paug sim card next month and give it a try, if it doesn't work on my bold 9900, I will use it in my old iPhone 4.
Userlevel 2
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Maybe it doesn't work with Koodo, the Koodo employees around here seem pretty adamant it won't work, perhaps they're doing something different then all the other carriers.
Userlevel 6
Hi Peter, Timo is right! Data is not available on a BlackBerry with our prepaid service: http://koo.do/QpRJnK. It would work on Wi-Fi though! Thanks! ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
What about on samsung galaxy note 3 on prepaid, would data work on that?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
megh savant wrote:

Yes, because it isn't a blackberry.
megh savant wrote:

okay, so everything except blackberry
Userlevel 7
megh savant wrote:

Everything except BlackBerry 7 and older. BB 10 OS is fine.