Koodo Community
Solved

Why does my phone keep saying I'm with Telus?

• 1 October 2018
  • 4 replies

Everything works fine, it's just that, randomly, at times, or sometimes for a long time, when on my lock screen instead of it saying "Koodo" in the top left corner, it will say "Telus"

I have an LG G5 with a pre-paid plan. This phone was originally bought from a ROGERS store and has since then been unlocked and went straight to Koodo service.

Is this normal?
icon

Best answer by BobTheElectrician 2 October 2018, 01:03

Telus and Bell share some common infrastructure. If you go into your settings for Mobile Networks and scan available networks, it's not unusual to see Bell, Telus or Koodo towers listed as valid choices.

Normally you would leave that setting as Automatic. Your phone will then latch on to the strongest "legal" signal available at your current location, possibly including US towers if you are near the border and are willing to roam. If you want to avoid roaming, then you should manually choose Koodo.

Number of bars and connected network in the notification area are a function of the phone manufacturer's software. There is really no industry standard. My previous LG G3 reported more signal bars than my current LG V20, though the actual signal level in -db and reception are exactly the same.
View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo runs on Telus' network. At some locations the phone will report Telus instead of Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Telus and Bell share some common infrastructure. If you go into your settings for Mobile Networks and scan available networks, it's not unusual to see Bell, Telus or Koodo towers listed as valid choices.

Normally you would leave that setting as Automatic. Your phone will then latch on to the strongest "legal" signal available at your current location, possibly including US towers if you are near the border and are willing to roam. If you want to avoid roaming, then you should manually choose Koodo.

Number of bars and connected network in the notification area are a function of the phone manufacturer's software. There is really no industry standard. My previous LG G3 reported more signal bars than my current LG V20, though the actual signal level in -db and reception are exactly the same.
I don't think this is normal... I unlocked my G5 I purchased online which was originally Rogers also... Now it's been a week and I am still registered under Telus.... Changed the APN, still nothing. I also used the network search, only Bell and Telus show up with a few options to each (LTE, GSM etc.) Still no Koodo.... Any real solutions instead of just leaving it??
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@joshw22 this is actually harmless as well as everything is working fine. Telus' other brand is Public Mobile and I have seen some of their customers post the same thing in the Public Mobile community, but with no ill-effects. This seems to be harmless within the Telus brand family.