Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why can't prepaid customers roam in the United States? Why can't we purchase a roaming booster?

Userlevel 2
Yet another example of how prepaid customers are second-class with Koodo.

14 replies

Userlevel 5
To my knowledge no prepaid with any carrier is able to roam in the US. I would guess its likely because of the costs associated and that it would chew through prepaid balances in no time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

To my knowledge no prepaid with any carrier is able to roam in the US. I would guess its likely b...

Roam Mobility is a prepaid Canadian carrier that offers US roaming packages. Every prepaid carrier I've been with has allowed me to roam. I don't see any reason not to offer it. Sure, it'll be expensive but it's then up to the customer to manage their balance however they see fit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

To my knowledge no prepaid with any carrier is able to roam in the US. I would guess its likely b...

ROAM is an MVNO operating in the US with offices in Canada, offering services to Canadians. They are most definitely not a Canadian carrier
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

Semantics. They sell to Canadians and it's a prepaid business model.
Userlevel 2
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

I personally believe Prepaid should have had the honor, privilege, the stripes and perks to join the Ranks of Postpaid and offer This and more too
Userlevel 2
I don't know why we can't just purchase an add-on similar to what the post-paid Koodo customers have.

And FYI both Wind and Mobilicity (which would be considered prepaid carriers) have U.S. (and internatinal) roaming, both through their wallet balances and as additional add-ons.
Userlevel 5
I wouldn't really consider either Wind or Mobilicity prepaid as your picking a monthly plan just like every other post paid carrier.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

I wouldn't really consider either Wind or Mobilicity prepaid as your picking a monthly plan just ...

Wind offers prepaid service in addition to its monthly service, though I don't know if you can roam with it.
Userlevel 7
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

I wouldn't really consider either Wind or Mobilicity prepaid as your picking a monthly plan just ...

I was prepaid with wind and you cab indeed roam with it.. With limitations
Userlevel 2
You are doing that with Koodo as well.  The difference is that with Koodo you can also add boosters if you choose not to go with a more expensive $25/$35/$50 prepaid plan.  But it's still a monthly charge either way.  So I would indeed consider them to be prepaid.
Userlevel 2
Yeah. I prefer a Prepaid Roam. Hoping PM offers it FIRST. My opinion
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Take a look at Tracfone (US) bring your own phone program. Unlock the Koodo handset, buy their SIM for a few dollars (the activation kit is something like $6-10 depending on what dollar store you go to). Buy whatever minutes/data/service time you need at prices a fraction of Canadian suppliers.  Cdn long distance calls from US at no surcharge.

Of course, you will get a US number, which may actually be a benefit depending on who calls you the most.

If you want to go whole hawg, go for a $100 or so bundle that includes an LG Ultimate 2 handset and a year's service. No need to fork over $35 for an unlock.
Userlevel 7
jcsousa wrote:

There are cheaper options to roam in US. The only thing I would love to get and willing to pay fo...

Grab yourself a voip number in Canada and have it ring your USA line. Then forward your Koodo line to your Canadian Voip line

Add Koodos call forwarding plan for 3$ flat or just pay per use.

I use voip.ms for this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
jcsousa wrote:

There are cheaper options to roam in US. The only thing I would love to get and willing to pay fo...

Your strategy is sound, except AFAIK Koodo call forwarding does not work reliably on [i]pre-paid. Use Canadian VoIP number as the one to receive all your Canadian voice calls. That can forward to US and Canadian cellular wherever you are, but not the other way around without additional charges maybe complicating your life.