Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Want to change from contract with Koodo to prepaidHow do I do it?

I am off to Europe for the winter and would like to change my plan to prepaid. I would keep the same number and activate it when I am back home. Do I need to go to Koodo shop, or can I do the change on line?

6 replies

Userlevel 1
Koodo offers a Seasonal Hold Plan for $10/month. It lets you keep your account open for up to 6 months. But you would lose your current plan. Compare that to the cheapest prepaid plan on Koodo which is $15/month, and again, you would lose your current plan. Why not just port your number to something cheaper and then just port back to Koodo when you return, given that you will lose your current plan by doing this anyhow? Another cell option would be Speakout from 7/11. $10 SIM(could probably buy one from Kijiji for less) plus a $25 top up that would last 365 days (thus easily covering the winter months). Compare that to $10/month seasonal hold. Anything over three months and you are saving money. Especially if you are gone for more than the 6 months required for a seasonal hold.
Hi you would have to go into a kiosk just to get a prepaid sim card to switch over. The only thing is the prepaid will not work in Europe and I am pretty sure it is possible transfering your number over but it could take awhile to transfer over( like a few days). Once you get the sim card you just have to goline and activate the prepaid service.
Userlevel 6
[i][...] Why not just port your number to something cheaper and then just port back to Koodo when you return [...] That is actually very good advice Francisco! And I'd suggest you do this with VoIP.ms is you really want "cheap"! Excellent tip Humberto!
Userlevel 1
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

[i][...] Why not just port your number to something cheaper and then just port back to Koodo when...

I was going to mention voip, but I don't really use it so I figured I'd let somebody else chime in who might know more about it. I also don't know if the port takes longer with voip. I assume he'd want his service back within hours of arriving back, so I figured cell to cell is the quickest.
Userlevel 6

[i][...] Why not just port your number to something cheaper and then just port back to Koodo when...

I guess it depends, so I'll use my personal case as an example. Back in 2007, I was still with Bell for my landline. I ported out to VoIP.ms, and I was without phone for about 4 hours. It has worked flawlessly ever since, and Bell hasn't seen a single penny from me since then, so it's a win-win 😃

Good Call, thanks