Koodo Community
Question

Upgrading Current Phone (Prepaid)

• 23 June 2019
  • 3 replies

So I am on a 15$/month plan with a galaxy s5 I got from a friend after my moto g stopped working, this phone is less than ideal and I think an upgrade would benefit me tremendously. I saw the LG K9 for about 200$ and thought that would be great, unfortunately it requires me to upgrade my current plan (15$/30 days unlimited texting + ability to send media via text) to one that is 30$/30 days (unlimited texting and 500mb data). I have a few questions:

1. Could I keep my current phone number? (I really like my phone number)

2. Could I keep my current booster add ons? (Quite a large number of minutes)

3. Is there a better prepaid phone plan out there that I should know about?

thanks for answering, Kenny.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  1. Yes absolutely.
  2. Nope. If you switch to postpaid you will lose it all
  3. Define better. Here's what's currently available : https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans
You can wait until you have used up your minutes or buy a phone that you like used or on other resellers. I'd sooner order a Xiaomi phone for slightly more than get a k9 personally
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
There is no reason why you have to upgrade your plan.
You can simply take the sim card out of your current phone and put it in the new one or if it doesnt fit you can purchase a new sim and do a sim swap on your current account.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Take a look online for refurb phones. For $200 Cdn, you can get a top-of-the-line-2-years-ago phone that can use your current SIM and plan rather than settling for a bargain basement item. Most will come in really clean cosmetic shape.

Your boosters are tagged to your prepaid account. You will maintain your balances, even if you decide to upgrade your prepaid baseplan. If you are enticed into switching to post-paid, all those balances will be forfeited.