Koodo Community

unknown "web" charges in middle of the night

I use the prepaid phone with add ons and I keep getting charged for data usage in the middle of the night when my phone is not in use and I can't find out what these are for.  I have all of my apps shut off so they don't use any data, the only thing that uses data is messenger. These unknown charges are the only data I get charged for and they keep using up all of my booster add ons. The only description  is “web”.  Anyone know what this is or how to stop it?  

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can give Koodo your PIN - it’s used to verify that you are you even for seemingly non-private information. That said the law of privacy would not allow them to see what your data was used on - you should be grateful for that, considering the extend of how much you trust them ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

How much data are we talking about? Can you give some examples please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hmm strange, I just checked my usage and mine doesn’t have these “data leaks” (it only shows what I actually use when on the road). Is your phone connected to WiFi during the night? Can you try to set it to airplane mode for a few nights to see if there isn’t any rogue app eating up a small amount of data each night?

Edit: oh you mentioned that all it says is “web”, I can confirm this is normal :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Checked my “web” use for the last 30 days. I am almost never out of wifi range, but very consistently consume less than 1 MB per day of “web”. Probably some form of handshaking going on.

Koodo may have started a different system of accounting for data since the “basic” baseplan now includes 250MB of data per month on prepaid at no extra cost, so not to worry unless you have a large data leakage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Dennis, there isn’t that much to show. This is what it looks like on my self serve:

Mine too shows data in the middle of the night but it was used during the day. I guess Koodo either tallies it up during the night, or there is something very wrong with their timezone...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks @Sophia i guess it's not noted as web calls but as just web. That was a little confusing 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Sophia, you said this was normal. Can you explain more? I will also try your suggestion of putting the phone to airplane mode - or should powering the phone off have had the same effect? BTW, my phone is a flip phone with no apps and no internet set up.

Oh I can’t speak for anyone else, @lindam - I just said that my web page seems to reflect what I actually used.  I haven’t tried airplane mode yet.

If you have a flip phone you definitely won’t have to worry about your data usage - more than likely you haven’t purchased a data booster in that case. Do you use MMS? That might explain why yours shows web usage. 

@BobTheElectrician Koodo in all their wisdom have done away with the 250MB data and figured people would be much more interested in 100 monthly minutes. I honestly wish they offered two $15 plans: one with data and one with minutes. Luckily Public Mobile offers both in one plan :)

Speaking of which, I just checked self serve and after waiting 10 minutes (why is their self serve so dreadfully SLOW?!) it shows a long list of web usage as well, while my hubby’s phone has been home and connected to WiFi 100% of that time. I send to agree it’s probably a reservation thingie… since it doesn’t seem to eat up any actual data (it shows 5.620  /  250 MB and the plan renewed last week, that amount won’t keep me awake at night).

Could be as small as 0.5MB as large as 9MB, either way these are the only things using up my data and I don't know what they are 

I just found the same problem - these calls have been going on for several months and I didn’t know because I had never checked my usage history. When I called Koodo, they refused to talk to me until I gave them my PIN, which I refused to do (if they can’t tell me what a ‘web call’ is, i don’t trust them for anything else). Are ‘web calls’ in the middle of the night “normal”? What are they? Should I have given Koodo my PIN? Anyone know? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I just found the same problem - these calls have been going on for several months and I didn’t know because I had never checked my usage history. When I called Koodo, they refused to talk to me until I gave them my PIN, which I refused to do (if they can’t tell me what a ‘web call’ is, i don’t trust them for anything else). Are ‘web calls’ in the middle of the night “normal”? What are they? Should I have given Koodo my PIN? Anyone know? 

Can you provide a screen shot of where you see usage for web calls?

Koodo is not asking for your credit card or ATM pin.  They are asking for the PIN you set for your account so that they can identify you.  If you dont remember this pin or refuse to give it, you can just say you forgot and they can ask you other confirmation question about your account.

My phone was out of service for a week waiting for a new battery. When I got it back and checked the history, found all the calls labelled ‘web’. Turned the phone off. This morning I powered it back on. 2 calls last night. You can see there are always two of them at the same time, but different usage numbers.

from this morning:

Does anyone have any idea what these charges are?

Sophia, you said this was normal. Can you explain more? I will also try your suggestion of putting the phone to airplane mode - or should powering the phone off have had the same effect? BTW, my phone is a flip phone with no apps and no internet set up.

Userlevel 2

Hi Neelie!

Thanks for reaching out to us! Please send us a private message from your Social Media account (Facebook or Twitter) and we will be happy to assist you :)