Koodo Community

Community

Solved

U.S calling & texting prepaid

Is there any possibility, in the near future, that one could buy U.S. text and/or talk boosters for prepaid plans. I am currently pricing and comparing plans. I like the booster options and was ready to switch from Rogers and purchase a new phone, until I discovered I couldn't use your phone in the States. This has not been an issue with Rogers or Bell.

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Take a look at some roaming companies such as [i]Roam Mobility and get your device unlocked for $35. (After 90 days of service) Roaming add-ons and plans are incredibly expensive and don't cater to short 2-3 day trips. The plans offered through companies like [i]Roam Mobility are priced very well and have a plan for all of your needs. Hope this helps. -Justin
Justin Robichaud wrote:

Take a look at some roaming companies such as [i]Roam Mobility and get your device unlocked f...

Thanks. I wasn't familar with this company.
Userlevel 6
Justin Robichaud wrote:

Take a look at some roaming companies such as [i]Roam Mobility and get your device unlocked f...

If your phone is unlocked you can go to AT&T or T-Mobile - they have plans for $2-3/day that give you unlimited calling and SMS in the US (T-Mobile includes data too).
Justin Robichaud wrote:

Thanks. Unlocking might be an option once the warranty is done.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Justin Robichaud wrote:

No need to wait until the warranty is done, there is no penalty for having your phone unlocked.
Justin Robichaud wrote:

Thanks! Great to know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
As far as I know, no prepaid services from any carrier work internationally. Picking up a SIM from another service offered in the country you travel to is the best option.
Userlevel 7
David wrote:

As far as I know, no prepaid services from any carrier work internationally. Picking up a SIM fro...

T-Mobile lprepaid works internationally as of last year.
I currently have a Rogers Pay As You Go. I am able to call home from the States or within the States. It' expensive-about $2.50/min, but worth it for emergencies and peace of mind when travelling. I may go to the States 6-8 times a year-mostly day trips. Thanks for the tip.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Shell wrote:

I currently have a Rogers Pay As You Go. I am able to call home from the States or within the St...

I stand corrected. Thanks!