Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Travelling Canada with Koodo Prepaid

I was interested in purchasing a Koodo prepaid phone but now I have some second thoughts. I made an inquiry today at a kiosk in London and was told that you cannot use a prepaid Koodo phone outside of your local calling area. If I understood your kiosk staff correctly, they explained that if I got a prepaid London number and I purchased the $15.00 Unlimited Messaging Base Plan and a Canada-Wide Talk booster, I could only use it to make calls across Canada when I was in the local London area. Upon reflection this seems questionable given that Bell and Rogers do not restrict prepaid calling outside of your domiciled local calling area. Does this mean that a Koodo prepaid phone will not function outside of my local calling area? If my car breaks down an hour from town can I call anyone? Also, if I were in Calgary, as I am at least once monthly, could I only call locally in that area and not back to Ontario with the Canada-Wide Talk Add-on? Or would the phone even work at all? I was also told that you can only use the Data Booster Add-ons in your local area? If so, I assume that I couldn't access data in Alberta even with that add-on? On your prepaid page it states, " Remember, you can use your Prepaid phone all over Canada, but not outside of the country" So I'm confused...prepaid is only going to work for me if I can use it in Alberta and Ontario and not just in my local market. Please clarify how a Koodo prepaid phone with the Talk and Data Add-ons works (or doesn't work) when I leave my local area. I appreciate your time and effort in responding to this information. Thanks

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Must have gotten a rep who just started and is still learning the ropes Craig. Your phone will just work fine all over. As you said, in Canada. As long as you have a Canada-Wide Talk booster all your calls are local no matter where you are. And data doesn't distinguish between local or long distance. It makes no difference.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rudy is 100% correct and I'm afraid the rep was dead wrong 🙂 I'm prepaid as well, and the boosters are indeed Canada wide, both to make calls and receive them anywhere you like - as long as you're within Canada. Prepaid does not work in the US or any other country though. However, if you add one of the extras such as the $10 addon for 7pm/weekend calling, then those calls your cover area local only. You can still call outside your local area, but that will use booster minutes. Perhaps that is what confused the kiosk employee!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Rudy is 100% correct and I'm afraid the rep was dead wrong 🙂 I'm prepaid as well, and the booste...

To add a further clarification and apply it to your situation: Whether you are in London or in Calgary, your minutes will always be 5 cents per minute (using the $25 booster). You can even call the US for 10 cents, or the rest of the world for 25 cents per minute, again from anywhere in Canada. Same goes for data, no matter where you are, you can use your 1 GB for $35 and take as long as you need to use it up, whatever you don't use carries over to the next month. However, if you were to get the $25 base plan, which includes 7pm/weekend unlimited calling, then only the calls you make from the London area to the London area would be "free" (or included) 🙂 Hope that helps!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Craig, I'd like send your feedback to our shops so they can learn from this experience. We have 2 Koodo locations in London. Which one did you vist? Thanks!
Bernard wrote:

Craig, I'd like send your feedback to our shops so they can learn from this experience. We have 2...

Thanks for all the responses...Now, I will buy Koodo. I appreciate the clarification from you, Sophia and RudyW. I visited the kiosk at Whiteoaks last Monday about noonhour...but in fairness to the staff on duty at the time, they may have misinterpreted what I was asking or I may have misinterpreted what they said. I've now got clarification from this forum and I am satisfied that Koodo offers the best prepaid option within Canada. I'll be back in the next few days to go prepaid with Koodo, Thanks again
Userlevel 6
Bernard wrote:

Craig, I'd like send your feedback to our shops so they can learn from this experience. We have 2...

Indeed this community helped me out on several occasion too. If you ever have a question it's worthwhile coming here first.