Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Travelling Canada B.C. for 4 days, should I choose Koodo prepaid plans (for data)?

I looked at the prepaid page and seems $15 base + $30 1GB data is good for me, can I just go bestbuy and buy a sim card, make a phone call to select plan and pay with credit card? Can I make it one time thing without monthly renew?

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Anywhere prepaid Sims are sold absolutely. It's one time by default so unless you setup auto top-ups you're good.
Goran wrote:

Anywhere prepaid Sims are sold absolutely. It's one time by default so unless you setup auto top-...

What is the sim card size? Also how am I supposed to make the first activation call, use the Koodo sim card?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Anywhere prepaid Sims are sold absolutely. It's one time by default so unless you setup auto top-...

Nowadays you get the 3 sizes in 1 SIM, so whatever phone you have, you'd be good. You don't need to call for activation, you can activate your SIM online here: https://prepaidselfserve.koodomobile.com

Edit: oops, wrong link......... this is the correct one :) https://activateprepaid.koodomobile.com/

Another edit: you don't have to purchase a SIM card in a store, you might be able to find one on eBay (make SURE it's a prepaid SIM! It's different from the monthly one), but I'm not sure if you'll find a seller willing to ship out of Canada.
Goran wrote:

Thanks, I'll just stop by a store when I'm in Vancouver. I was told I cannot use international credit cards but prepaid vouchers. Can I buy vouchers at stores as well (bestbuy e.g.)?
Goran wrote:

I found the prepaid voucher dealers https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-vouchers
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Awesome 🙂 Have fun in Canada! Did you make sure your phone is compatible with Koodo's frequencies?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Phone should be unlocked (get that done before you arrive) and AT&T compatible. If not sure, check willmyphonework.net
Goran wrote:

I'm pretty sure my phone is compatible. Thanks for letting me know. Will figure out where to get sim and where to get vouchers and how to activate online. I'll be driving from Seattle (to Victoria and Vancouver), guess I'll just find out when I arrive.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

The stores in your prepaid voucher posts are mainly large-footprint grocery and convenience stores similar to Safeway and 7-11, so should not be difficult to connect.
Goran wrote:

One thing I'm still confused, I'll buy sim card at one place and voucher at another place? can I buy all in one store and have someone help me set up everything? maybe a koodo store? Also does this support tethering/hotspot?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

I would imagine you should be able to buy both in one place, Chandler. I don't think anybody but a Koodo store would set you up though, it is usually the purpose of prepaid to do it yourself hassle free 🙂

The SIM card will cost you $20, but you'll receive $20 in credit. You will use $15 of that to activate the base plan, so you will would only need to buy a $25 voucher to add the $30 data add-on, if that makes sense... then let it expire after you go back to your country.

You can certainly use the plan for tethering/hotspot, I have done it many times with my prepaid plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Activating your account has to be done on-line. Here's the web page. Pick an address near where you will be staying. Your phone calls will include Canada-wide long distance, and calling back stateside will cost you 2 minutes for every one actually used.

https://activateprepaid.koodomobile.com/

Only a Koodo store will sell you the SIM, though all of the locations you posted have the vouchers for sale. It's similar to any other prepaid carrier like AT&T or Tracfone.
Goran wrote:

Thanks for all the kind responses. I found a koodo store in richmond bc and I'll likely stop by to have lunch in richmond on the first day, I'll buy sim card and voucher in the koodo store and beg the assitents to help me with online activation. Called and confirmed they have both sim card and voucher!
Goran wrote:

A quick update, I went to the Koodo store in Richmond Centre, spent 2 minutes to buy sim card and voucher, spent another 5 minutes to activate the card online using free wifi from Starbucks which is very close to the Koodo store, within less than 10 minutes, I have data now!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Goran wrote:

Awesome 🙂 happy travels!