Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Traveller from Aus, living in Canada, road tripping USA - needs phone plan

Hi guys/ girls I am a traveller and I have had a prepaid koodo deal for 12months now but in a couple weeks I am travelling to the usa and I will need a phone deal/ plan for 2 months so I can make calls and use data. what are my options available? Thanks Dan

7 replies

Userlevel 7
If you're on prepaid, koodo has nothing for you. Koodo prepaid doesn't work in the states.

You're better off unlocking your device and going with a usa prepaid carrier. I use cricket and here's what 50$ USD a month buys me.

You can order a SIM starter kit in Amazon or pick one up in a Cricket store when you get into the states.

Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

If you're on prepaid, koodo has nothing for you. Koodo prepaid doesn't work in the states.

My God prepaid is way better in the U.S. It's almost like they force you onto postpaid up here. chatr is alright but nothing comparable to that.
Userlevel 7
Hi Daniel, If your Koodo phone is unlocked, then your best option would be to get a prepaid SIM card for a provider in the US similarly to what you have here with Koodo.
Userlevel 1
Yeah, Straight Talk is also a great option too because you can buy their prepaid cards all over the country and given they are a Wal-Mart brand you know no matter where in the US you are, you're going to find a place to refill. Phones are pretty cheap too if you want to buy one, or unlock your phone and you can buy a SIM card. I was paying 45$ a month for unlimited everything. They also have a 60$ unlimited international plan that lets you call quite a few countries, most likely Australia being one of them. You just buy the cards which last for 30 days and you can add them on your phone. Great when you're travelling. They're an MVNO, so they use the Verizon or Spring network.
Userlevel 7
Andrew T. wrote:

Yeah, Straight Talk is also a great option too because you can buy their prepaid cards all over t...

Just a heads up Andrew, straight talk also uses T-Mobile and AT&T. The starter kit includes Sims for each carrier and a special card for Verizon phones.

Net10 is the same way.

And recently both straight talk and Net10 upped their data bucket to 5gb Just keep in mind none of these services allow tethering or use of your device as a Wifi Hotspot
Userlevel 1
Andrew T. wrote:

Yeah, Straight Talk is also a great option too because you can buy their prepaid cards all over t...

True, true. You can pick your sim card.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Visit http://www.howardforums.com/forum.php and check out the US prepaid forums. You'll get an idea of what's easily available. Keep an eye on long distance capability to Canada & Australia if that's an important consideration. Many services are US only. It may be cheaper to buy a phone in the US and avoid unlocking fee & SIM swaps if you are going to be bouncing back and forth. Tracfone LG Optimus Fuel android was $20 refurb on eBay and offers free long distance to Canada.