Koodo Community

Community

Top up prepaid through online banking

Userlevel 6
It is possible to top up a prepaid account using a credit card or vouchers, but not through online banking. It would be convenient to have this as an option, especially for people who don't have a credit card, or who live in areas where top-up vouchers are hard to find. This option is available for postpaid, so why not for prepaid too?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
One issue I see in this, paying by online banking isn't instant. It can take up to 4 business days to post to your account.

We (Mobile Masters) frequently see posts from the postpaid crowd: "I just paid ny bill and it's not showing up on my account" only to find out they paid with online banking.

I can forsee disappointed customers and angry customers who's phones get cut off while they wait for the banking stuff to post. That being said, I still like the idea. But managing expectations would be difficult.
Userlevel 6
Chad Burr wrote:

One issue I see in this, paying by online banking isn't instant. It can take up to 4 business d...

If this were to be implemented I would hope that Koodo would send out the top-up notification at least a week before the due date. Currently I receive the text notification 3 days before the due date, which as you point out might not be enough.
Userlevel 6
Chad Burr wrote:

One issue I see in this, paying by online banking isn't instant. It can take up to 4 business d...

The idea would work if bank transfer is 'instant'. Credit Card is the way to go
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

My sentiments.... Exactly?
Userlevel 6
Chad Burr wrote:

Yes!! With a sprinkle of honorable mention of credit card!
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Fair enough
Userlevel 6
Chad Burr wrote:

Koodo promotes prepaid service as an alternative to postpaid for people who don't have a credit history. This sounds good, but then it's hard to top up with anything other than a credit card (and since Koodo doesn't accept international credit cards, it has to be a Canadian card). Yes, you can buy top up vouchers (not always easy to find especially outside big cities), but that's an extra step. That's why I suggested this idea, since it's generally easier to get a bank account.
Userlevel 6
Chad Burr wrote:

You can use visa debit to top up. That's a faster transfer of funds than going online banking. If you have a bank account am pretty sure you'll have a debit card just make sure it's visa debit
Userlevel 6
Chad Burr wrote:

My bank card is a plain old Interac card - it hasn't been updated to allow Visa debit. Perhaps it will be when I get a new one. In the meantime I'll continue to use a credit card. For users who are new to Canada, this makes no difference because only Canadian Visa debit cards are accepted.