Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Take over billing? Porting number from other account?

Now that I am 18 I want to take over payment for my phone from my parent. This probably requires making a new account but can I port the number from my parent's account? I currently have a blackberry smartphone but want to switch to a prepaid plan from monthly when I get the Nexus 5.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Jaxx, I think the easiest way is to wait till you are ready for prepaid, then buy a prepaid SIM card and you can just port your number over from your parents' account 🙂 If you want it done immediately, you can visit a kiosk and ask them to split the accounts and then you can port to prepaid at a later time as well... but that way you need to pay a one time $25 service fee. Either way you definitely can port your number and keep it!
Sophia wrote:

Hi Jaxx, I think the easiest way is to wait till you are ready for prepaid, then buy a prepaid...

Thanks for the help, one more question! How do I port the number? I'm afraid of getting roped into a new number since I'll be opening my own new account totally separate from theirs. The current account (with monthly plan paid by my parent) is still active with tab but I will pay off the tab when I get my new phone
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Hi Jaxx, I think the easiest way is to wait till you are ready for prepaid, then buy a prepaid...

No problem, Jaxx, you can port at ANY time. If you want to wait, you'll get a temporary prepaid number and then port in your own at a later time. No worries there, I ported in my Telus # months later without hassle 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just get a prepaid sim then when activating you can port your number over from your parents account. You will need the account number and other details of the account. Then it will cancel the account from your parents account. This includes any tab owing on that number