Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Switching from prepaid to monthly

I'm thinking of switching from my prepaid plan to a monthly plan, and want to buy a new phone on the tab. Does this mean I need a new SIM card? And what happens to the $15 I've paid into my prepaid plan this month?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes you do. However when you buy a new phone on tab, then the sim is included for free. And you will lose the money in your prepaid account
Alright, that's what I thought but was hoping to be told something different haha. Thanks for the info!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Switching in either direction is like moving to a completely different company. The SIMS won't work, you will lose whatever investment you have in minutes, tab, etc. Your self-serve become historical and you have to re-register all over again. So best to do it when you've just about exhausted your account. The only positive is that you don't have to pay to get your phone unlocked if you stay within the Telus/Koodo (and partially Public Mobile) umbrella and want to use the same gear. If you are buying a new phone on the tab, then you are a newbie like any other person walking in off the street.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
And Koodo will run a credit check on you to sign up for postpaid/monthly, so don't forget bring proper ID when you go to a store.
Good to know, thank you all for the additional information!