Koodo Community
Question

Sim won't activate...

• 29 December 2020
  • 13 replies

I bought a prepaid Koodo phone from Best Buy and it included a prepaid Sim card in it. Not knowing that, I had also ordered a prepaid Sim card from Amazon (Thanks a lot, Koodo, for no head's up since I lost my money on that...).

I followed all the steps, but neither Sim card would activate! I tried the factory reset, turning it off and taking out the card/battery out... I tried turning airplane and non disturb modes on and off.  I tried checking the network signal on my phone.

The one that came with the phone would actually show the LTE flash a couple times next to the signal when the phone turns on, but then disappears.

The phone is a ZTE blade and laggy even after a factory reset.

Also, when I tried the other Sim card, it didn't work at all... But now, when I've tried to click on Change Sim Card, when I enter the initial Sim card number, it gives me an error message of "Sim card is invalid or already in use.".

I've been a Koodo member for years now with 2 lines on the monthly plans. I have never had as much difficulty as with the prepaid plan, to the point that I just want to cancel everything and get my money back for everything... It is so incredibly frustrating. 

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You said that neither sim would activate. Were you getting errors during the activation process? Of so what errors were you getting?

Also in regards to the sim card the website says: "Your Koodo Prepaid SIM card. Unless you bought one separately, you’ll find it in the packaging with your Koodo Prepaid phone." 

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/activating-your-prepaid-phone

When I submitted the Sim card numbers, it didn't say any error messages at first on the site. It just accepted the number and that's it. I didn't get any text message or anything to confirm. It basically just said the Sim card number was changed on the site and that's it.

Also, when I was looking at buying a prepaid phone, on the koodo site it says only that we need to buy one off of Amazon. I did not expect that I had to go through all FAQ pages from Koodo before buying it. It is a very bad process from Koodo and I am appalled at this. You can go on their page talking about prepaid phones now (not any FAQ pages) and you'll see it does not say that a Sim card will come with a prepaid phone. It says to buy one on Amazon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When I submitted the Sim card numbers, it didn't say any error messages at first on the site. It just accepted the number and that's it. I didn't get any text message or anything to confirm. It basically just said the Sim card number was changed on the site and that's it.

Also, when I was looking at buying a prepaid phone, on the koodo site it says only that we need to buy one off of Amazon. I did not expect that I had to go through all FAQ pages from Koodo before buying it. It is a very bad process from Koodo and I am appalled at this. You can go on their page talking about prepaid phones now (not any FAQ pages) and you'll see it does not say that a Sim card will come with a prepaid phone. It says to buy one on Amazon. 

Just to make sure, are you trying to sign up for a new prepaid account or do a sim swap to use a phone on an existing account?

To sign up for a prepaid account you'll have to follow the link here and fill out all the information:

https://activateprepaid.koodomobile.com

I signed up for a new prepaid account with the new phone and the Sim card it came with. When it didn't work, I tried to change the sim after a couple days to see if that might work, but nothing. I followed the instructions on all the links you're showing... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I signed up for a new prepaid account with the new phone and the Sim card it came with. When it didn't work, I tried to change the sim after a couple days to see if that might work, but nothing. I followed the instructions on all the links you're showing... 

Ahh okay gotcha. Last thing I can think of, do you have another phone that you can try the prepaid sim in for a minute just to see if it can get service?

I tried both Sim cards on another phone that was unlocked, but that was used for Petro Mobility and nothing there either... It's weird how I would get 2 broken Sim cards, so I feel like there's something I'm just not getting even if I've followed the steps to the point. I just want to cancel everything and get reimbursed for everything- that's how frustrated this awful process made me feel so far. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So, you have a prepaid account now and a number and you have an active self serve? Just the SIM card won’t wouldn’t work and then you tried to swap it in self serve with the one you purchased from Amazon and that doesn’t work either, did I get it right?

At this point you’re best off to send Koodo a private message on Facebook and ask them to look into your SIM activation. I agree it’s frustrating when things don’t work but in my opinion Koodo prepaid is worth the trouble - once it works I think you’ll be happy with it :relaxed:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Can you go back to the best buy you bought your phone (Or any Koodo store nearby)?  And ask them if they  have a test phone to check your SIM card. 

Also, can you login to your prepaid self serve? What is status there?

So, you have a prepaid account now and a number and you have an active self serve? Just the SIM card won’t wouldn’t work and then you tried to swap it in self serve with the one you purchased from Amazon and that doesn’t work either, did I get it right?

At this point you’re best off to send Koodo a private message on Facebook and ask them to look into your SIM activation. I agree it’s frustrating when things don’t work but in my opinion Koodo prepaid is worth the trouble - once it works I think you’ll be happy with it :relaxed:

Yeah, I've sent them a few messages through Facebook as they've resolved problems before, but nothing so far. The province I live in is shut down for another 2 weeks, so I won't be able to go to a store in person with this until then. I'm tempted to just refund my phone to Best Buy and buy a whole new phone or something like that, but then I'm not sure what I would do with my active account.

On my prepaid account with Koodo, it shows as active.

Can you go back to the best buy you bought your phone (Or any Koodo store nearby)?  And ask them if they  have a test phone to check your SIM card. 

Also, can you login to your prepaid self serve? What is status there?

I bought it online from Best Buy, so I'd probably just have to send them the phone for reimbursement.  It's a laggy phone anyway, which is surprising for a new 2020 phone.

And my status there is active. I can login just fine. They also took my payment with no issues, just there's no way to actually use those minutes... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Please don’t add any more messages to Facebook… they usually go by “oldest” and every time you add a new thought, you go back to the bottom of the barrel. They will respond :)

Please don’t add any more messages to Facebook… they usually go by “oldest” and every time you add a new thought, you go back to the bottom of the barrel. They will respond :)

Oh, that makes sense, thank you! I'll try to be patient... I just don't want to miss my window of returning this crappy phone if they can't solve the issue. 

Badge +4

The ZTE Blade A3L is a smartphone with 8 GB of storage and 1 GB of RAM. This explains the phone’s laggy performance. A phone with this amount of storage and RAM might have served its purpose well five or six years ago, but by today’s standards, 8 GB just isn’t enough storage space. The phone does have expandable storage of up to 32 GB, you’ll have to purchase a microSD card to make use of the additional storage.  

The Android operating system Android Pie (Go Edition) is a scaled-down version of Android Pie and is aimed at phones with limited storage space and RAM. The size of the Android Pie (Go Edition) is reportedly 2.5 GB which leaves you with 5.5 GB of available storage space on the phone.

As a suggestion, look for a phone that has at least 32 GB of phone storage with expandable storage. The Motorola Moto E and LG K31 both have 32 GB of storage, 2 GB of RAM and expandable storage. While these are not flagship specs, there should be a noticeable performance improvement compared to the ZTE Blade A3L. These two phones should also be available through Best Buy.

Prepaid Phones | Koodo