Koodo Community
Question

Sim card not recognised

• 28 December 2019
  • 5 replies

Bought myself a prepaid sim card from Koodo today and I’ve activated it and topped it up. My self-serve account says it’s active. However, when I put it in my phone it doesn’t recognise a sim card has been inserted. I tried putting the same sim into another phone and it wasn’t recognised there, either. The customer service assistant is frustrating to deal with at the best of times and I don’t want to get charged for calling customer service. Does anyone have any advice? 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you restart the phone after installinging the SIM? Some phones won't detect the card without a restart if it's inserted while the phone is on.

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, I shut it off and did a restart multiple times. I should add, I only just received confirmation email that the activation was successful. However, despite restarting it multiple times again nothing seems to have changed…

Badge +4

Which phone do you have?

Do any error messages appear on screen? (Other than emergency calls only).

Is SIM card installed correctly?

Go to: Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile network > Carrier - if this setting is set to automatic, set switch to manual and wait for a list of carriers to populate the area. Select Koodo if it shows up in the list. A message, registered on network, should appear.

Another option, go to: Settings > Backup & reset - look for Reset network settings. Select this option and follow the prompts. This will reset all radios, cellular, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, to their default state. This procedure will not erase any data. Keep us posted.

I have a Huawei p10 lite. I bought it in the UK, but I know it’s unlocked. I put another sim into my phone and my phone recognised it automatically. So I don’t believe it’s the phone itself that’s the problem.

No other error messages appear other than the sim card with the exclamation mark in it.

I can’t access mobile networks since my phone isn’t recognising a sim.

Thanks for your feedback though!

Badge +4

I have a Huawei p10 lite. I bought it in the UK, but I know it’s unlocked. I put another sim into my phone and my phone recognised it automatically. So I don’t believe it’s the phone itself that’s the problem.

No other error messages appear other than the sim card with the exclamation mark in it.

I can’t access mobile networks since my phone isn’t recognising a sim.

Thanks for your feedback though!

A defective SIM card is a possibility. It is rare but does happen on occasion. Since this is a fairly easy problem to replicate/demonstrate, head back to the Koodo shop where you purchased the prepaid SIM card from and get a replacement. Install the SIM card before you leave the shop to verify that it works.