Koodo Community

Community

Solved

SIM card and account expiration?

I need a PAYG sim card that won't expire if I don't use it for a bit. Does Koodo offer such a service, or would my money get stolen if I don't use it for a bit? I ask because if I travel out of the country for, say, 12 months, and come back, I would want to be able to use my SIM card and just load it up with credit, as opposed to being forced to buy a new one every time..

5 replies

Userlevel 7
No, nobody offers a vacation hold for that long, and especially not on prepaid. The nice thing is at least the SIM cards come with a credit.
It's not really a vacation hold. In the UK, if I top-up my account (pay as you go aka prepaid) with, say, $20, then it'll stay there forever until I use it for calls, it doesn't expire (ie. the carrier doesn't steal it from me for no reason just because I haven't used it yet). So I'm guessing Koodo requires that I put money on the account on a regular basis even if I'm not around to use it for several months?
Userlevel 7
Saltank wrote:

It's not really a vacation hold. In the UK, if I top-up my account (pay as you go aka prepaid) wi...

So does every other Canadian carrier. Sorry man, this isn't the UK or the rest of the world. Since accounts stay open for 90 days without top up, you could try and top up just before you hit that limit instead but that's the best you can do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Your best option would be SpeakOut (by Seven Eleven). You will still need to top up on a yearly basis, but the minimum required is only $25. Mind you, even if you don't use your account, they will still take $1.25 each month for "Government fees" so by the end of the year not much is left of your $25 anyway. As Jonathan said, this is Canada 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Your best option would be SpeakOut (by Seven Eleven). You will still need to top up on a yearly b...

Actually, an even better option for you is a UK provider called Piranha Mobile, Saltank. There is no top up requirement and their rates are actually quite good in Canada, considering. Here is the link: http://www.piranha-mobile.com/ PS we get free television here, you can't have it all 😃