Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Selling SIM cards. whats and nots

If I sell my old SIM card to someone who has and unlocked phone and the SIM card still has a 35$ prepaid plan on it, would he have to get his phone locked with Koodo in order to use my SIM?

6 replies

Userlevel 4
How old is the sim card?
Userlevel 3
If the sim card was activated/used within 90 days it will still work. Otherwise that sim card is obsolete.
not even a year old. the plan was just renewed on monday, but i broke my phone. he was using it last night, but now it says that it wont recognize the sim.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
William McGowan wrote:

not even a year old. the plan was just renewed on monday, but i broke my phone. he was using it l...

I'm puzzled why you would want to get rid of your SIM (account) just because you broke the phone? But if that is what you want, you'd need to transfer your self-service account to the new owner as well, so they can fully use it to top up etc. (make sure your personal information and credit card etc is updated/deleted first, obviously) In fact you don't even need to give them the SIM card itself, once they have access to the account they can activate a new prepaid SIM card if they wish. Oh and to answer your first question... it will work with any unlocked phone, as long as it has the right frequencies (for Canada) 🙂 No need to lock it with Koodo first!
William McGowan wrote:

not even a year old. the plan was just renewed on monday, but i broke my phone. he was using it l...

Sold my SIM cause i got a new phone on plan, so i no longer need my prepaid sim.
Userlevel 7
There's no need to "relock" a phone to a carrier, it'll just read it out of the box. You are aware that your phone # and plan follows the SIM, right? So if you activated a new one then the balance got carried over. If his phone isn't reading the SIM, then perhaps he doesn't have his phone unlocked properly, it's a 2G phone or it's set to 2G only, OR it's not compatible with the HSPA 850/1900 bands Koodo requires.