Koodo Community
Question

Samsung Galaxy S6 is using data at night

• 9 June 2019
  • 6 replies

My daughter's phone is using data (between 1-3mb) every night at either 12:55 or 1:55am. It's not a lot, but on a prepaid plan, it adds up. The phone is in our house, on WiFi when this happens. I've turned off the WiFi boost. I've restricted all the apps. I can't seem to stop the data leakage. Anything else I can try?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is bizzard, as you mentioned the phone was on Wi-fi at the time.

How did you know the phone was consuming cellular data at that time? did you check your phone or your self service? If possible I would suggest you reset the data counter in your phone (setings >> connection >> data usage) for 1 night and see which app /service is using your cellular data at that time.
I noticed that data was being used quite quickly, so I checked the usage history on my Koodo account and noticed the daily data use. Everything is restricted. I even took it to a Koodo site and she switched off the WiFi booster, but that didn't do anything.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Everything is restricted? Like no app has access to data?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Even when you restrict apps in your data page it can still use data. You're restricting it, not blocking it.
I would suggest turning the data off at night if you find this to be a recurring problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can also try a firewall app like NetGuard. It allows you to restrict what apps have access to data during different scenarios. I use the paid version but the free version works just fine. If you're using a VPN, this won't work for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Was the phone plugged in when this happened?

I recommend following what @Allan M said and see if the issue continues. Even turning on airplane mode as further testing. If the problem stops then we know the phone is definitely leaking data somewhere, which is where you would do what @Dinh saids