Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Prepaid to monthly postpaid incentives?

Userlevel 3
Are there currently any incentives available for prepaid customers to change to a post paid monthly plan? Someone on Facebook inquired about a $120 credit and the Koodo rep mentioned that it was only available to those on prepaid converting and was payable in 12 $10 monthly credits. I can't find any information and have received no such offers. Anyone know anything about this?

26 replies

Userlevel 7
I have never heard of those credits. It might have been an old offer. I don't really think there are any incentives besides the usual advantages to postpaid like financing phones, Canada wide calls are standard, etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

I have never heard of those credits. It might have been an old offer. I don't really think there ...

I know Telus offers these incentives on occasion.
Userlevel 3
Strange because the Facebook posting to which the rep responded was on April 19th. Maybe there are some secret offerings made only to select customers?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Beverley wrote:

Strange because the Facebook posting to which the rep responded was on April 19th. Maybe there a...

What's the reps' name on Facebook?
Userlevel 3
Veronica
Userlevel 5
Hey Beverley,

In fact, we are offering a promotional $120 bill credit over 12 months to eligible customers moving from Koodo Prepaid to Koodo Postpaid (for a limited time). Do not hesitate to visit a store (http://koo.do/1l6ypda) if you need more details about this offer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

If you see a good answer, give it a star.

Userlevel 3
It absolutely will help! Thanks so much for letting me know!!
Userlevel 6
Anyone with half a brain (and already considering postpaid) will simply activate a prepaid SIM first and then port out to postpaid, pocketing $100 in the process ($120 - $20 for the prepaid SIM). Then again, if the other half of the brain also works, one will stay on prepaid...
Userlevel 3
Not quite. If you had read the thread the credit is payable in $10 increments over a period of 12 months. It is available for a limited time and is only available to existing prepaid customers that have been on prepaid for 2 months. Not sure if it is available on all post paid plans but if it is, it is a good deal particularly for light users. The new $28 plan less $10 is $18 per month for a year. The minimum prepaid is $15 just for unlimited texting so for an extra $3 per month you're getting 100 Mb of data, 200 minutes, and unlimited weekends and evenings.
Userlevel 6
Beverley wrote:

Not quite. If you had read the thread the credit is payable in $10 increments over a period of 1...

Not quite. If you had read the thread [...]

So, Beverley, since I did not read the thread according to you... Care to tell me where it said customers need to have been on prepaid for 2 months to be eligible? You seem very well informed.
Userlevel 3
Beverley wrote:

Not quite. If you had read the thread the credit is payable in $10 increments over a period of 1...

That stipulation was outlined in the original Facebook post I was referring to and correct I did not mention it in this thread but I was clear that the credit is applied over the course of a year. I'm confused as to why you are being so insulting towards me and anyone else who might be considering a move to post paid? I can assure you I have more than "half a brain" that you so eloquently described.
Userlevel 6
Beverley wrote:

The half a brain post contained no names, so I don't see why you feel distressed by it. Second, please tell me where I've been disrespectful towards you.
Userlevel 3
Beverley wrote:

I think it was the part where you said "if the other half of the brain also works, you'll stay on prepaid... ". The "you'll" part of that sentence refers to me specifically and infers that my brain is not working if I make the change to post paid. But whatever. No need to comment back. Have a good evening.
Userlevel 6
Beverley wrote:

I can definitely assure you, Beverley, that "you'll" meant anyone, not targeted at you. Edited my post to better reflect that.
Userlevel 3
Beverley wrote:

Ok David, I'll bite. Why would one be better off staying on prepaid, especially with the scenario I described?
Userlevel 6
Beverley wrote:

Because right now prepaid has amazing value built into it's cheapest $15 plan. A good chunk of the userbase does nothing other than SMS on their phones anyway. That plan costs $15. So someone makes the switch, thinks "hey I'll save $100 for 1yr".... then 1yr later............... the $15 plan is gone! What happened? Oh right, people saved $100.... In a sense, this is akin to buying people out of their cheap plan to get them on something more expensive. Once that credit expires, previous plan doesn't exist anymore. How convenient... So from there, one will be forever paying $28 while all he/she wanted to do was to pay $15....... Much the same thing happened over at Public Mobile (owned by Telus, just like Koodo). They used to have province-wide calling for $19. Same now costs $30. Increase of 57.9% for the same plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Beverley wrote:

I'll bite back 😃 No seriously I just saw this conversation, and it is very interesting. Thank you for starting it 😃

The new $28 plan [i]less $10 is $18 per month for a year. The minimum prepaid is $15 just for unlimited texting so for an [i]extra $3 per month you're getting 100 Mb of data, 200 minutes, and unlimited weekends and evenings

You are correct, for about a year that will certainly be the best deal - I'm tempted 😃 But I am still not going to do it, because after the 12 months, you will have to pay the full $28 each month. 100MB and 200 minutes on prepaid breaks even, at $28 or less, $26.50, if you use auto top up. It is true that you won't have unlimited after 5 calling... but with prepaid, if I use LESS in a month, I pay LESS, sometimes as little as $13.50 when I don't use minutes or data for a month. On the other hand, on prepaid, when in a certain month I use MORE, I'm not hit by scary overage. Just as an example, suppose in a certain month I use 500 daytime minutes, and 1GB of data. This is not really excessive usage and on prepaid this would set me back [b]$68.50 - namely the $13.50 base plan plus two boosters, $25 and $30. On the $28 plan, the bill for that month would be......... embrace yourself...... [b]$268! Yes, TWO HUNDRED dollars more than it would cost me on prepaid! And this, dear Beverley is why I personally will stay with prepaid... but I also understand that some will want the postpaid benefits such as unlimited weekend, roaming, family calling and what not. That is why I'm so happy Koodo offers both!
Userlevel 3
Beverley wrote:

Are you guys suggesting that Koodo is trying to get rid of prepaid and would not be available to go back to in a years time?
Userlevel 6
Beverley wrote:

Prepaid will still be there (I think). The $15 plan, however, we don't know. As it's such an amazing plan, I'm not risking anything and clinging onto it like plastic wrap on leftovers. There is a known fact, however: once it's gone, it's gone. We have no way to know for sure if it's going to be the case, we don't work for them and don't make decisions for them. But we're not taking that chance.
Userlevel 3
Beverley wrote:

And yes I am a fan of Koodo's prepaid offerings for all of the reasons you mentioned. The only real nuisance to me is the inability to roam.
Userlevel 6
Beverley wrote:

The only real nuisance to me is the inability to roam.

There are more roaming alternatives now than ever before, so while impractical, it sure is a whole lot cheaper.
Userlevel 3
Beverley wrote:

Interesting conversation, thank you.
Userlevel 6
Beverley wrote:

You're welcome.
Userlevel 6
Beverley wrote:

This is what happens most of the time, sadly. At face value, the current postpaid offers [i]may look interesting to some. However, 2 minutes with a calculator in hand usually (not always) means otherwise. Of course, it always comes down to your real world usage. If you use Sophia's example and apply it every month, then you don't need the $28 plan nor prepaid. You need a plan that fits that usage pattern. But most people, after they sit down and really take a cold hard look at their bill and see their real usage, realize they're on the wrong plan. Even sometimes on the wrong system, and then switch to prepaid. That's how I became a prepaid user. It's always about what you use and how you use it, as it should be.
Beverley wrote:

at what time on a clock can i use my $28. plan and get free minutes if I have used up my minutes? after 5 o'clock? is there free long distance on weekends?