Koodo Community
Question

Prepaid text from 5245

Userlevel 4
Received this text today, "Koodo: Automatic top-ups just got even easier. As of today, we'll keep track of your auto top-up balance so we'll only charge you for the amount owed versus the fixed plan cost that you originally signed up with. Plus, if you ever change your plan, the top-up amount will adjust automatically, " Prepaid MM's, Bob the electrician, Mayumi or Sophia, what exactly does this mean ? Thanks.

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
We haven't been given any information yet, Fred, in fact I haven't even received the text yet (oh wait, I just did). All I know is what you know 🙂
Userlevel 4
Thanks Sophia. Maybe when you figure it out, you'll let me (us) know what it means.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lets say you are on a $50 plan and your current account balance sits at $30.
Before:
With auto top ups your card would always be charged $50
Now:
Koodo will use the account balance (in this case $30) and then the auto top up will be for $20
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This is still new for us too.

It seems that if you have any balance in your account, they will charge you only the amount to make base plan amount.
Say I have $15 plan. I get credit back of $1.50 from auto top discount.
Then they will charge me $13.50 for next top up.

Im not 100% sure. I also wondering how this 10% discount works from now on.
I hope I/we can see how it works more clearly and let everyone know about it here :)

Add: lol. Did I take this long to reply this? Damn Netflix 😁
Userlevel 4
So Allan, I have the basic $15.00 plan with auto top-up and I buy boosters. I have $36.00 accumulated from that $1.50 rebate. Does this mean that now they will deduct my basic $15.00 plus the tax from my $36.00 accumulation ? A couple of months ago they did that and I had to call and get it reversed. I use the $36.00 to buy boosters when they double on special.
Userlevel 4
Sorry Mayumi, I guess we were asking the same question basically at the same time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sorry Mayumi, I guess we were asking the same question basically at the same time.
NP.Fred 🙂. TV was/is distracting me.
And many of us will figure out soon enough how it works.
I guess if you have a lot of account balance, then they might not charge your card for awhile
Userlevel 4
I'm not sure I like this, if in fact this is what it means. Like yourself, I think I read, I save that amount so that when the specials appear for prepaid, I can jump on them. Maybe they tried it a couple of months ago, when they used my balance to pay for my basic plan, to gauge the reaction of we prepaid folks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm not too fond of it either. My husband is an intermittent user and we usually only top up every two months or so. We have the $5 auto top-up and just add the rest manually when needed.

But oh well, it's not the end of the world either... I just wish it was optional.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Log in to your self-serve. The amount of the next auto top-up is reported, provided there are no further transactions. If you have a balance greater than your regular baseplan renewal, there will be no top-up ($Ø).

What it boils down to: sleep tight, you don't have to worry about baseplan renewals, they are automatically adjusted to zero your account. Any time you want to buy a booster, manually add the funds to your account first.

You can still manually top up ahead of time if it suits you better.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So basically, the auto topup bonus is lost for booster purchases in the future and for those who may want to pause their service for a month or 2 as those will now need to be manual purchases?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sounds like it, Dennis. Win some, lose some. An official word would be appreciated, since this is a fairly large change and we're rather in the dark still...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
To buy a booster : you need to login and purchase it from accumulated balance manually.
But, it seems they won’t accumulate credit anymore, you just buy it when you needed.

And to pause your service : If there is some credit balance on your account, it will renew anyway until your balance is lower than your base plan. Then you add funds when you needed.

So, I don’t see it will be big change for me. Because I don’t keep accumulating. My card will be charged less every month(30days) from now on. And add funds when I need to buy booster.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The prepaid plan purchase web section was under construction this morning, and now back on line.

The old skinny basic $15 text only plan is gone, replaced by the newer one which includes 250 MB of data, which will serve most users who only check email and do occasional browsing. A gain from a few months ago.

Auto top-ups still earn 10% of your baseplan amount according to info at the top of the page, so no loss there. It remains to be seen if that 10% is still applied if the amount of your auto top-up in a particular month is zero.
Could make for an interesting argument amongst legal , software and accounting people, i.e., was there actually an auto top-up performed?

It will make it easier to pause your service temporarily because all outstanding balances will trend towards zero + whatever was manually added to buy boosters. No need to juggle auto top-up amounts from time to time to "cash in" the 10% bonus.

Let's just see how this plays out in execution...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So basically, the auto topup bonus is lost for booster purchases in the future and for those who may want to pause their service for a month or 2 as those will now need to be manual purchases?

Exclusive of taxes and booster transactions, if your baseplan is $15, and your current auto top-up is the same, and you have $4.50 accumulated in credit over several months, your next re-calculated auto top-up should be $11.50 since that's what's needed to renew.

You take the $4.50 saving in a lower payment rather than maintaining an arbitrary $15 payment and leaving an extra $1.50 (10% of baseplan) in the kitty every month. Thereafter the $1.50 credit every month should result in a $13.50 payment.

So your balance will trend toward zero eventually, since existing balances are applied first. Will make it much easier to stop/pause service temporarily just by cancelling auto top-up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Well, so far anything we talk about here beyond the text that we received is just speculation, because none of us heard anything official yet. Whereas a lot of this sounds logical, we have also been around long enough to realize that Koodo is not known for always doing the logical thing ;)

Some great questions asked and I hope we won't be kept in the dark for long!
Userlevel 4
As I said earlier, there were a few posters on here, including myself, because Koodo had deducted our plan fee from the balance a couple or so months ago. Then we had an offer to add 100 mb of free data, which I never accepted. Which does not roll over as I understand. Now we have the new change. Next I fear that there will be no forever carry over of unused minutes and data as long as the 30 day fee is paid. I anticipate a specific time frame to be announced. Now your fee that will be taken from your balance if there is one. This seems labour intensive to me. Someone will have to check your file to see if there are funds there to take and then if there is say $10 in your balance they will have to charge $5 plus tax to you CC on file. Methinks something more is going on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Fred, the plan change to include 250mb data is awesome, you definitely should do that. Just change your plan one day before renewal. There are absolutely no catches to that and it's in addition to everything you already have, including your boosters. Go for it 😃
Userlevel 4
Hi Sophia, Sorry folks thought it was 100 MB. Does all or unused portions of it roll over and add to boosters we already have or are they gone and start over @ 250 MB when your plan renews ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Sophia, Sorry folks thought it was 100 MB. Does all or unused portions of it roll over and add to boosters we already have or are they gone and start over @ 250 MB when your plan renews ?
The data in the $15 base plan doesn't roll over. Just the booster do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Included 250mb data won’t roll over. But you will get full 250mb when it renewed.
Only data booster will carry over.
So, my understanding is that they will use included data first, and if you used up 250mb then system will access to your booster.
Userlevel 4
Thanks Allan and Mayumi.
Userlevel 3
This seems to me like a move to get credits off of their books for accounting/finance reasons.
I know that some have accumulated large amounts over time and this will certainly put an end to that.

So from what I understand now (but could be wrong) if I had a $3 balance now, come next auto top-up, that $3 balance is used towards my $15 base plan and thus the auto-top up will only charge my credit card the $12 + taxes.

Now, do I still get a 10% of my $15/month baseplan thus giving me a $1.50 balance, or is it 10% of the $12 I actually paid??

Assuming it gives me the $1.50, come next month's auto top-up, it would bill me $13.50 for the month and then deposit another $1.50 credit.

Seems to me at this point I would end up getting 10% deducted overall each month instead of it accumulating over time for use towards boosters.

Almost seems like they don't want credit balances being used to purchase boosters which sometimes go on sale as a few already noted.

Will be interesting to see how next month's auto top-up works out. Hopefully no glitches! 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So from what I understand now (but could be wrong) if I had a $3 balance now, come next auto top-up, that $3 balance is used towards my $15 base plan and thus the auto-top up will only charge my credit card the $12 + taxes.
  • That’s how I’m assuming too.
Now, do I still get a 10% of my $15/month baseplan thus giving me a $1.50 balance, or is it 10% of the $12 I actually paid??
  • Their website still saying 10% of base plan. So, it will be $1.50 in your case. But I still want some confirmation from rep(s)
Seems to me at this point I would end up getting 10% deducted overall each month instead of it accumulating over time for use towards boosters.
  • It sounds like it. So, less paying every month and purchase booster(s) when you need it.
Will be interesting to see how next month's auto top-up works out. Hopefully no glitches! 😉
  • True! We don’t want any more glitches. Lol
Userlevel 4
I'm with you Chrisowhy. I'm skeptical and there are a lot of questions. Come on Bernard, Ranjan et al tell us what is going on.