Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Prepaid Talk Boosters. Does it deduct same amount if someone calls you?

I'm on $15 prepaid plan right now. The brochure says that the Talk Booster minute deducts 5 min if I call international location and talk for 1 min. What if someone calls me from different country and we talk for 1 min, would it also deduct 5 minutes?

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nope, being called always deducts just one minute 🙂
Userlevel 5
Yes. Actually, on the web site, the notes underneath the fee schedule for prepaid service simple says with the Talk Booster: 1 min Canada call will deduct 1 Anytime minute. 1 min US call will deduct 2 Anytime minutes. 1 min international call will deduct 5 Anytime minutes. This means calls made by you and calls received by you.
2 different answers, could someone clarify this? 🙂
Userlevel 7
Hey Osuman, Sophia is correct in this situation. We're both Koodo Mobile Masters and we know what we are talking about. Calls received are always considered local (as long as you are in your local calling area). even if the call is from your neighbour down the street or your friend in Australia.
Ahmad wrote:

Hey Osuman, Sophia is correct in this situation. We're both Koodo Mobile Masters and we know what...

Glad to hear thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

Hey Osuman, Sophia is correct in this situation. We're both Koodo Mobile Masters and we know what...

And just to clarify even further: with the boosters, all of Canada is your local area 🙂
Userlevel 5
It might be a good idea to get Koodo to change the information of the website then. It is clear that *texts* received from abroad do not incur extra fees. It is not clear at all that *calls* received from abroad do not incur extra charges. So, when the website says : " 1 min Canada call will deduct 1 Anytime minute. 1 min US call will deduct 2 Anytime minutes. 1 min international call will deduct 5 Anytime minutes. " it strongly implies that the extra minutes docked per foreign call apply no matter whether originating in Canada or not. If that is not the case, the website note should be rewritten to end the ambiguity.
Userlevel 5
May I ask you, Ahmad and Sophia, if you can point to a source for your opinion on this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Elinor wrote:

May I ask you, Ahmad and Sophia, if you can point to a source for your opinion on this?

I'm a prepaid user. Also, this is how phones work, worldwide 🙂 Incoming calls are always treated the same regardless its origin. It has been like that since the days of Mr Graham Bell 😃
Elinor wrote:

Except they don't charge for incoming calls in Europe.
Userlevel 5
Well, who can argue with that! Still, it's not clear from the information on Koodo's web site. All that's required is to change the current text to: "A call to the US will deduct 2 anytime minutes per minute of call; A call to other countries will deduct 5 anytime minutes per minute of call. Each minute of incoming foreign calls will deduct one minute of anytime minutes."
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Elinor wrote:

Well, who can argue with that! Still, it's not clear from the information on Koodo's web sit...

Agreed, Elinor!
Userlevel 1
Elinor wrote:

Well, who can argue with that! Still, it's not clear from the information on Koodo's web sit...

Thanks for clarifying that our local calling area is all of Canada. I'm guessing at one point Koodo didn't follow that definition because this page http://help.koodomobile.com/prepaid/boosters/when-will-I-be-charged-for-long-distance details how long distance is charged on all received calls when you are travelling
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Elinor wrote:

Jay, that's not for all the prepaid plans. The $15 and $25 dollar plans do not include Canada-wide calling:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Elinor wrote:

Exactly, the earlier conversation talked about boosters alone... As Ivan mentioned that does not include all prepaid plans (or rather, the exception being the $25 plan). I sure wish Koodo would change that to end all confusion!I
Userlevel 1
It all does seem to get muddied easily! I am on the $15 prepaid plan (which includes no minutes), and I have a talk booster, and I can call anywhere in canada and not use long distance rates; only if I call USA, I use 2x the minutes for the call, and if I call International, I use 5x the minutes. As for receiving calls, if I am roaming then it uses the double minutes, but if I am home, and they call from outside my area, I'm not penalized. I think I got that right, right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jay N wrote:

It all does seem to get muddied easily! I am on the $15 prepaid plan (which includes no minut...

Almost, Jay. The first bit is correct 🙂 As for receiving calls, you are ALWAYS charged 1 booster unit (minute), no matter where you are in Canada... and no matter where the caller calls from. Edit: oh if you mean international roaming, there is no such thing on prepaid, it only works in Canada.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The "new" boosters are for Canada-wide minutes, so any calls made using these to a number in Canada while located in Canada should be included, we are all agreed. The page Jay N quotes is probably ancient but would lead us to believe that some incoming calls are not covered the same way (frrebie local-only calls). Just want to know, once and for all, if I live in Toronto and my number is (416) whatever, buy the 500 minute Canada-wide talk booster add-on, can I just call Vancouver and receive calls while I am in Montreal without having to worry about "roaming" or "long distance", just like the monthly clients can. [i]Sophia's answer above is what I was looking for. Thanks. It was posted while I was still composing this missive.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

The "new" boosters are for Canada-wide minutes, so any calls made using these to a number in Cana...

Bob, sadly and rather annoyingly, Koodo STILL has one "local" thingie going for prepaid. They REALLY should change that - but their $25 plan with 7pm/weekend calling is local. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! (the grr is not directed at you, but at the confusing setup, lol) Otherwise awesome answer and 100% correct as far as the boosters are concerned!