Koodo Community
Question

Prepaid plan options and pricing

Userlevel 3

I have been a prepaid subscriber with multiple lines for 5+ years now and wondering what’s going on with the plans and pricing.  The value proposition of Koodo’s prepaid is seriously disappearing.  Almost seems like they are trying to get everyone into post-paid or onto Public Mobile.

Check out the amazing value in prepaid you can get from EE Limited  over in the UK which is a brand of the massive BT Group (akin to one of our large tier one carriers):

https://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-as-you-go-phones

10 pounds - 4GB data, unlimited texts, 100 mins calling, 30 days, data rollover etc

20 pounds - 15GB data, unlimited texts, unlimited calling, 30 days, data rollover etc

FYI - 10 pounds is about CAD$17.50 - $18.00

And it gets even better with their “Free Boost” which provides 500MB of free extra data after 3 consecutive months of buying the same “pack” or prepaid plan!

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'd say the prepaid plans are less about value and more about a different options for people.

Some people don't have the best credit, don't want to be tied into a monthly plan, etc.

The $15, $30, and $40 plans still serve a purpose as postpaid plans don't really have a match there though.

As for public mobile, there is no customer service call center and the data is throttled down to 3G speeds. Some people would rather pay an extra little amount to have that availability and the faster data.

Userlevel 3

I'd say the prepaid plans are less about value and more about a different options for people.

Some people don't have the best credit, don't want to be tied into a monthly plan, etc.

The $15, $30, and $40 plans still serve a purpose as postpaid plans don't really have a match there though.

As for public mobile, there is no customer service call center and the data is throttled down to 3G speeds. Some people would rather pay an extra little amount to have that availability and the faster data.

With the explosion of higher priced prepaid plans (and erosion of the lowest), I’d say it’s now more about getting the ARPU up, while pushing the cheaper options to Public Mobile.   Even the lowest prepaid plan requires a monthly fee/amount to keep the baseplan going.  For example $15 - then booster/data/voice required on top of that.   This is no different than a “monthly plan”.   I think what you meant to say was being locked into a contract term, which is what happens for all the postpaid TABs.  You can still go postpaid without contract when you BYOD. 

Customer service for Koodo prepaid is really not much better than PM now, and having been on it for so long, I can certainly say that it’s not like it used to be.   It’s either Facebook or Twitter, or posting here for general guidance -> pack your patience and prepare to wait.  Calling 611 on prepaid for a human is super limited. And  PM’s “3G speeds (3Mbit/sec)” are more than sufficient for most.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I agree, Koodo prepaid makes no sense whatsoever, at least not for the $15 plan any longer. Go with Public Mobile which gives unlimited incoming, data, auto top up discount and a yearly discount until you only pay $8 for MORE than you get with Koodo prepaid.

My husband has already signed up with PM and I’m waiting for my boosters to be used up and then I’ll hop over too :)

Make sure you sign up using someone’s referral!

Not sure why you posted that here though, I mean… it’s not as if you have to convince anyone of something.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you have the older $15 baseplan (especially with the 250MB data included) and it suits you, hang on to it for dear life. Roaming in the US works fine without instantly ballooning to a daily minimum $, data is not throttled, boosters are $uitable for light use and don’t expire.

Of course, YMMV, so study your usage patterns carefully.