Koodo Community

Prepaid Needs to Improve in Canada!!! Canadian Lived in Sweden 1yr.

Prepaid in Sweden (I used Comviq) is get a simcard from 7-11 for ~$4CAD -> Download Prepaid App -> Choose either just data or phone and data package active for 30days from the date purchased in the app. There are data packages like $7CAD for 1GB Data, no phone calls or text messaging required to purchase (no base plan). You can get a combo package FastPris 95 for $15CAD which is 1GB Data and unlimited country wide calls. If you don't want to pay for anything you still keep your number and there is no required payment, you just choose if you want to activate something for 30days at any time.

My current situation with Koodo prepaid. I have to pay minimum $15CAD/month for a "base package" that has basic text and call. If I don't pay the fee, I lose my phone number in 90days and it goes to someone else. Bottom line I think it'd be great to get rid of the mandatory payment for prepaid. It's not a monthly plan, It should be a pay what you want to give you services that you want.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Maybe we're a little side-tracked from the original discussion. Not too many of us are serial por...

I heard on redflagdeals forum users reporting they utilized Mexican pre-paid cell service that includes roaming in US & Canada (at no extra cost). Downside is you get a Mexican cell number and your web browsing on data always cycles through a Mexican IP address, upside is that the talk/text/data is relatively cheap.
Userlevel 3
titaniumtux wrote:

@Kurtis: in that case you can flock to Bell/Virgin, they do not require a base plan, you c...

Actually, Koodo is the only one that has a different SIM card for prepaid. At least they give that activation credit to give your $20 back, so no big deal for people who actually want a prepaid plan rather than play some number porting games.
titaniumtux wrote:

@Kurtis: in that case you can flock to Bell/Virgin, they do not require a base plan, you c...

Ok cool, thanks for the advice@titaniumtux . That could be the better option. We do have a lot bigger of a country to cover, that being said, data prices are too high! One can dream.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Maybe we're a little side-tracked from the original discussion. Not too many of us are serial porters or know how to beat certain systems.

As long as the "cheapie" brands are the orphaned children of the big providers, they will continue to maximize their monthly revenues.

An alternative that works well in the US is Tracfone which is not owned by any US cell outfit, but by a Mexcan one.  You can buy xxx minutes / xxx texts / xxx data at various levels, each of which come with a certain number of service days bundled. If you need any single component, including service days, you can purchase them directly without overloading on items you will never use. Many Canadian snowbirds spend less than $100 a year (including a cheap handset) for their exact needs.

It's a model that would fly well in Canada for basic needs.
Userlevel 6
@Kurtis: in that case you can flock to Bell/Virgin, they do not require a base plan, you can simply add airtime and pay per use for talk and text (and add data packs if needed). Different providers cater to different market segments with different offers, and looks like Telus/Koodo are simply not game for competing on no base plan pre-paid service.
I think pre-paid wireless service in Canada should be more expensive, given that there's no credit check, ID verification or any chance of subsidizing phones through pre-paid.
What I don't like is how Telus/Koodo have different sim cards for pre-paid and post-paid. Other carriers simply have sim cards, and can be activated either on pre-paid or post-paid.
Userlevel 6
titaniumtux wrote:

Ha! I use Virgin Mobile sim's to activate numbers for number porting. A buck a sim on ebay 😃
Userlevel 3
titaniumtux wrote:

I buy those for some number verification stuff because incoming texts are free. Used to be 3 for $0.99 though, so percentage wise the price went up too much. If you want to get a nice number, use Bell instead. Same price for SIM cards, but they let you search for last 4 digits and give more number options than 3 random ones.
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Maybe we're a little side-tracked from the original discussion. Not too many of us are serial por...

Good tip, I'll remember that next time i'm in the US 🙂