Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Prepaid International on old handset

I'm coming to Canada from the UK and I'm bringing an old pay-as-you-go handset I've got spare. Does anyone know of any pre-paid simcard deals I could get that once I come over that would give me international texts?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
As long as the phone has HSPA 850/1900 bands then it'll work. If you only need texts, then the $15 base plan will suit you well. It has unlimited texting to anywhere in the world. Base plans are effective for 30 days. If you want some calling, then add a booster. They don't expire as long as the base plan is maintained. The best value is 500 for $25 but I'm not sure if you use all of that. Check out the plans on the website to see what you like.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What kind of phone is it? If it's unlocked and compatible with Koodo's network it should work. http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/sim-cards-and-non-koodo-phones/how-do-i-know-if-my-phone-will-work-on-the-koodo-network
The one I have sitting around is an unlocked UK Nokia 106? Can anyone tell me if this is compatible? Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Gary Morrison wrote:

The one I have sitting around is an unlocked UK Nokia 106? Can anyone tell me if this is compatib...

No, that won't work, Gary: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_106-5635.php It's a dual band and will definitely not work with Koodo. Actually I don't think it'll work even with Rogers, which is a "true" GSM provider. You'll need a new phone I'm afraid, Gary. Think of it this way: you'll have a motive to treat yourself to a lovely smart phone at last 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Gary Morrison wrote:

The one I have sitting around is an unlocked UK Nokia 106? Can anyone tell me if this is compatib...

Oops oops think I'm wrong, it's a quadband phone, sorry. It guess it'll work with Koodo after all but will let the experts here confirm. Sorry about the runaround!
Gary Morrison wrote:

No worries Sophia, thank you! I have an iPhone here in the UK but its extortionate to use it internationally so getting a prepaid sim from Koodo and using my spare phone is a more viable option financially!