Koodo Community
Question

Prepaid Call Control - Complain to the Heritage Minister

• 18 November 2021
  • 4 replies

Hubby and I are on prepaid.  I called Koodo this morning to complain about all the scam calls we are getting - more all the time.   I got told the usual by Koodo - Koodo is “working on it” …..but it offers this service to its regular plan subscribers.  So I got fed up and wrote to Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez who is in charge of the CRTC.  I said Koodo is discriminating against prepaid customers, who are often elderly or low-income, by not giving them Call Control service.  And you can do this yourself. Minister Pablo Rodriguez who is in charge of the CRTC is at pablo.rodriguez@parl.gc.ca

Here is what I wrote to the Minister, in part.

“The problem: Koodo’s Call Control system was implemented well over a year ago... for regular subscribers.  It is denied to prepaid customers. And as regular subscribers take it up and use it, prepaid customers now get all the scam calls.  My husband and I receive at least one to two of these calls a day from overseas with varying Canadian area codes.  

“Koodo’s response: Prepaid customers asking why we can’t have Call Control (like I did at 9 AM this morning) get told that Koodo is “working on it”.  They have said that for over a year.  As well, they repeat that that Call Control is available for monthly subscribers....

“The issues for government: I know that your government is pressing Telcos to improve protections against scam callers. Please be aware that games are being played around this. Telephone service to prepaid customers is being allowed to deteriorate, in hopes we will take up more expensive plans. It is also discrimination against low-income and elderly customers, to carry scam calls to us when Koodo doesn’t have to.  It means a phone service we can’t trust. To answer unknown callers with our prepaid service is to waste the minutes we have paid for.  Not to answer might mean missing important or emergency calls. This stinks for consumers.”

Let’s hope this approach works better than calling Koodo works.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Wish I could give anything definitive. Prepaid is the ugly poster child of the Canadian telecom Industry. Hopefully it'll be sooner than later and given more equal priority in such services.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Things are in the works:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/11/17/spam-calls-no-more-stir-shaken-implemented-by-end-of-month-crtc-chair/?fbclid=IwAR1j9RI7puzsTuhD9HVYRIPL2HIAyH37AmvCsZauzA105XNTlnQDuL7m9WI

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We are relatively well-served in the SPAM dept. While in Canada, my SPAM input is almost zero. After spending a week in the US with Koodo prepaid, the story is entirely different. At least 2 scam calls a day because the US has much more lenient regulations and pick up on phone location.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hubby and I are on prepaid.  I called Koodo this morning to complain about all the scam calls we are getting - more all the time.   I got told the usual by Koodo - Koodo is “working on it” …..but it offers this service to its regular plan subscribers.  So I got fed up and wrote to Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez who is in charge of the CRTC.  I said Koodo is discriminating against prepaid customers, who are often elderly or low-income, by not giving them Call Control service.  And you can do this yourself. Minister Pablo Rodriguez who is in charge of the CRTC is at pablo.rodriguez@parl.gc.ca

Here is what I wrote to the Minister, in part.

“The problem: Koodo’s Call Control system was implemented well over a year ago... for regular subscribers.  It is denied to prepaid customers. And as regular subscribers take it up and use it, prepaid customers now get all the scam calls.  My husband and I receive at least one to two of these calls a day from overseas with varying Canadian area codes.  

“Koodo’s response: Prepaid customers asking why we can’t have Call Control (like I did at 9 AM this morning) get told that Koodo is “working on it”.  They have said that for over a year.  As well, they repeat that that Call Control is available for monthly subscribers....

“The issues for government: I know that your government is pressing Telcos to improve protections against scam callers. Please be aware that games are being played around this. Telephone service to prepaid customers is being allowed to deteriorate, in hopes we will take up more expensive plans. It is also discrimination against low-income and elderly customers, to carry scam calls to us when Koodo doesn’t have to.  It means a phone service we can’t trust. To answer unknown callers with our prepaid service is to waste the minutes we have paid for.  Not to answer might mean missing important or emergency calls. This stinks for consumers.”

Let’s hope this approach works better than calling Koodo works.

Have you considered posting this as an Idea? I am sure Koodo would do something about it if there are enough people to like it.