Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Prepaid - Booster Usage "Data Used" Keeps Going Up and Down

Userlevel 2
I'm on a Koodo prepaid plan with a 1 GB Data Booster. I use the "Booster Usage" page on Koodo's prepaid self-service site to track my usage. I noticed that where it tells me "Data Used (MB)" the amount keeps going up AND down, when logically you would expect it to only go up. I know it only tells me the usage since my last booster purchase, but I know that's not the issue, since I've only ever bought the one data booster.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
It sounds like there may be an issue with the website if it is showing your data going up and down, but if you're concerned about your actual usage, then I'd contact prepaid customer service. Just my opinion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Since recently you can check your usage per session/day, Jake. Log into prepaid self service, then Base Plan & Boosters, then Usage History. See if you find anything odd there... as Daniel said data used cannot logically go UP, only DOWN - if yours goes up without adding a booster, you're a lucky man indeed 🙂
Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

Since recently you can check your usage per session/day, Jake. Log into prepaid self service, the...

I would not go by the self serve per session/day. It says that I am using data at 4:30am. Well, I am not up at 4:30am using data. If I am up and using my phone, I am on my wireless internet. There are so many discrepancies with this usage history. So many times it says I am using data, while I know in fact that I am not using it.
Userlevel 7
Sophia wrote:

Since recently you can check your usage per session/day, Jake. Log into prepaid self service, the...

What you may be seeing on your account when it comes to usage is from the last point you used your data, on postpaid accounts it shows at certain time intervals (when the system catches up) what your usage was at. Not sure if prepaid does this but it's definitely how postpaid works.
Userlevel 7
Sophia wrote:

As you can see it shows the time it was last updated when it comes to my data, if that's what you see then that's what should pop up when it gets to a certain interval, I took this screenshot a couple minutes ago and it still shows from this morning. Hope that makes sense.

Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

Daniel, where's that screenshot from? Is it the Koodo mobile app? If so, isn't the mobile app only for postpaid users and not prepaid?
Userlevel 7
Sophia wrote:

The screenshot is from my Nexus 4 and that is the Koodo mobile app. I could have sworn there was an app for prepaid, if not I do apologize. If it was able to show information to people using the app for prepaid, that would be how it's displayed to the user.
Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

No worries. I've attached screenshots below of what I'm seeing when I log into prepaid self-serve. As you can see, there's a discrepancy between that the "Booster Usage" page shows, and what the "Usage History" page shows.
Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

I've tried finding an app for prepaid users, but according to Koodo's FAQ you can only use the mobile app if you're postpaid: http://help.koodomobile.com/self-serve/self-serve-app/what-is-the-self-serve-mobile-app
Userlevel 2
I've attached a screenshot of what my "Booster Usage" page shows, which is 5.908MB of data used since the Aug 7, my booster start date. I took Sophia's advice to check the "usage history" page (thanks for that, btw - I had no idea it existed) and after a quick sort to show all data usage at the top and then adding it up, it seems that I've only used 0.461 MB of data. I've posted a screenshot of that as well. So I have no idea about the discrepancy! (The image uploads appear small, but if you click on each of them, they'll expand to full size - should make it easier to read)!

Userlevel 7
Oh I see what you meant, all that's showing in the second photo is from each time you are using your internet, and what is shown in the first one is what you've used so far in full (as you explained yourself). And from the dates it's showing on the second photo it might be taking time to update accordingly.
Userlevel 2
Daniel Gunn wrote:

Oh I see what you meant, all that's showing in the second photo is from each time you are using y...

Yeah, I'm going to have to monitor things more closely to see how long it takes for the detailed usage stats to update. However I'm pretty sure the detailed usage is close to reality, since I've been mostly homebound the past few days and had my phone connected to my wifi, rather than the mobile network. Also, from the usage stats in my phone's native tracking utility it also shows very little usage. Which is why I'm worried because if Koodo isn't tracking it properly (i.e. is using the stats from the usage summary rather than the usage detail) then I'm going to run out of data a lot sooner than I thought! Thanks for trying to help.
Userlevel 7
Daniel Gunn wrote:

Oh I see what you meant, all that's showing in the second photo is from each time you are using y...

Best way to make sure though is to check with customer service when you can. But definitely keep an eye on it and if it doesn't seem to add up then there may be an issue on the account side which would need to be looked into. Glad to help out, keep us posted.
Userlevel 2
Daniel Gunn wrote:

For what it's worth, I did a side-by-side comparison of my text messages, to when the usage history says I sent or received a text message and they match up exactly. So we know that part's not messed up, at least 😛
Userlevel 7
Daniel Gunn wrote:

That's good, hopefully the internet side of it corrects itself. 🙂
Userlevel 2
I just checked again (less than 5 minutes ago) and now my "Data Used" is 0.635MB, which is significantly less than the 5.908MB from my previous screenshot! So now I know I'm not imagining things!

Userlevel 7
Very strange. Sometimes the systems can take a while to reset and you have the correct information. Glad to see it improved.
Userlevel 2
Daniel Gunn wrote:

Very strange. Sometimes the systems can take a while to reset and you have the correct informatio...

Except that it's still not the 0.461MB that I calculated from the detailed usage page, sigh.
The same thing is happening to me. My usage will agree with what my phone shows (approx.) but then I login again and it has jumped by about 5 MB more than the phone shows. Then on the next login it will have dropped back to agree with the phone again. The Booster Usage webpage appears to have a problem.