Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Prepaid and the Samsung Evergreen Slide Phone

I have a prepaid account which works really well for me. However, my Blackberry won't charge anymore. It is only about a year old, give or take. It seems to be something in the connection because if I fiddle with it, the red light comes on but then it craps out again. So I want to get another phone. I'm not a fan of touchscreen smartphones; I much prefer one that had actual buttons for texting. So I was looking at the Samsung Evergreen that a friend is selling but it was on a contract with Koodo and I was told when I was buying my Blackberry, that not all Koodo phones can be used on the prepaid plans. Does anyone know if the Samsung Evergreen slide phone can be used for the prepaid plans?

10 replies

Userlevel 5
If it has a sim card it should work with prepaid. But with that said, the evergreen is a pretty old phone and I cant remember off the top of my head if it had a sim card or not. If its one of the older CDMA phones it wont work, and since the CDMA network is getting shut down, it wont work anywhere soon.
Thank you Mark. The person who is selling it says that the phone is only 1 year old. Maybe she got is refurbished - I don't know. So if I go there, put the sim card that I have in my current phone in that phone, I should be able to see if it works. But I really need to know if it is a CDMA phone. What is a CDMA phone? 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Barbara Murphy wrote:

Thank you Mark. The person who is selling it says that the phone is only 1 year old. Maybe she g...

Yes. Pop in your SIM and all will be answered, including whether you like the feel of the keyboard. Lots of ladies have difficulty choosing between fashionable fingernails and a touch screen.
Userlevel 5
CDMA is just the older network that Telus/Koodo used. Basically if the phone has a sim card its not CDMA. And Im fairly certain the Evergreen is older than a year or 2.
I know that the Evergreen is a slide phone but I really don't like touch screens. I like to have buttons. And I like the slide phones. I only use it for talking and texting, not all that other stuff. So if it has a SIM card, I should be OK.
Userlevel 7
Barbara Murphy wrote:

I know that the Evergreen is a slide phone but I really don't like touch screens. I like to have ...

Correct
Userlevel 6
Barbara Murphy wrote:

I know that the Evergreen is a slide phone but I really don't like touch screens. I like to have ...

This phone is at least 4 years old. According to phonescoop.com it uses a traditional/mini SIM card and has WCDMA (3G) 850/1900 frequencies, so it should work with Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Barbara Murphy wrote:

The evergreen won't have a sim slot. Koodo's version was a CDMA one back in the day. The CDMA network is being shut down and I'm pretty sure they aren't allowing anyone back onto it. My honest recommendation would be to NOT buy this phone. Too many risks
Userlevel 5
Barbara Murphy wrote:

Thats what i thought, but it had been a while since I had seen one. And ya, if its CDMA they wont allow it to be activated anymore, most people with CDMA phones got a letter saying they will need to switch phones or it will stop working.
Userlevel 4
Barbara Murphy wrote:

Hello Barbara, your friend’s Koodo Samsung Evergreen will indeed work with Koodo Prepaid as it is an HSPA phone. Enjoy!