Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Prepaid Activation Issue

Hi, I am currently on a postpaid account, looking to switch to a prepaid one. I purchased a prepaid SIM today from a local Koodo kiosk. During the activation process, I tried to enter my existing number so it could be ported into the prepaid account, but I kept getting a "Generic Error" message, and could not continue the activation process. It seems that this is an issue with the prepaid self-serve/activation part of the Koodo website (from what I have seen in other threads). Today is the end of my postpaid billing cycle, which is why I tried to port out today. I now have a few questions: 1) If I try to port out before the end of my next billing cycle, I would be charged for the entire month, correct? 2) If I decide to use my postpaid account until the end of the billing cycle, would I still be able to activate the prepaid SIM that I purchased, or would the SIM become unusable after a certain period of time without being activated? Thanks in advance.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
1) You'll be charged up until the end of your CURRENT billing cycle. The reason that you can't transfer your number to prepaid is because you can't port a number from the same company. Inter-company ports aren't possible. This is true with other carriers as well. 2) There's no time limit to activate a any type of sim card.
Ahmad wrote:

1) You'll be charged up until the end of your CURRENT billing cycle. The reason that you can't...

thanks for the response, it's just a bit contradictory to what's written in the book that I received with my sim card. it says I can port from a Koodo account.
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

1) You'll be charged up until the end of your CURRENT billing cycle. The reason that you can't...

There *MAY* be a work around for prepaid then. I'll get in contact with someone and see what I can find out for you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

Correction, Ahmad, Koodo numbers can indeed be ported from postpaid to prepaid. These systems within Koodo are completely separate and Prepaid is, for all practical purposes, treated as a separate company. From our docs: Customers cannot be migrated from Koodo Postpaid to Koodo Prepaid service, because they use different systems. Customers must port-in to Prepaid.
Userlevel 7
Ahmad wrote:

Thanks for the confirmation. Wasn't sure how Koodo's prepaid system is setup. However, it is true you cannot port a postpaid line to another postpaid line.
Ahmad wrote:

thanks for the clarification, Timo. I'm pretty sure this issue is connected with the prepaid self-serve issues that have been reported by other users over the past few days.