Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Pre-paid without data on plan. Still possible to use data?

Just got a new (first ever if you can believe it) phone today. It's the very basic unlimited text / pictures pre paid plan. I didn't choose to pay for a data "booster" so is it possible for the phone to use data and all of a sudden at the end of the month I have a surprise bill? Without me knowingly doing something that might use data. In the data usage settings it has supposedly already used 105kb since I first turned it on about an hour ago.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No you can only busy data that you've already paid for on prepaid and will be cut off when you hit the mark you've paid for. Did you send a picture message that uses data and you aren't charged for that data because it's needed to send picture messages.
Ok thank you. So basically any texts with pictures (which are allowed through the basic pre-paid plan) will show up as data usage in the Data Usage settings? Just want to be sure I have that right. But I feel better already anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
True, T W - with prepaid you'll never incur unexpected cost! As Paul said, picture message are included in the base plan and you can send as many as you like without have to buy a data booster. Though technically they use data (that's why they show up in your data usage), you wouldn't be charged for them even if you had a data booster. You can also connect your phone to WiFi and use full data for free that way 🙂
Sophia wrote:

True, T W - with prepaid you'll never incur unexpected cost! As Paul said, picture message are in...

Cool thanks a bunch 🙂 I guess I just put off getting a cell phone for way to long, now I have to catch up lol.
Sophia wrote:

True, T W - with prepaid you'll never incur unexpected cost! As Paul said, picture message are in...

I also have Koodo Prepaid with no data booster plan and I enabled Mobile Data on my phone and was able to navigate through Google Maps application and see all the maps. WiFi was disabled. Is it normal? Will I get charged for this? However, internet navigation was blocked. I checked my data usages on monitored by my phone and Google Maps used about 10mb. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Hi Sebastien, Wow, lucky you 🙂 No, with prepaid you'll never be charged except you use up the boosters you have purchased. If you are able to use data without a data booster, you're a very lucky person and I wouldn't complain if I were you, hee hee. Are you SURE you didn't sneak in a tiny little booster, or enable WiFi after all? 🙂