Koodo Community
Solved

pre-paid internet (foreigner _ 30 days trip )

Hello, I will be coming to Quebec (Montreal) and then drive within Ontario next week and would like to stay connected to the internet during my 29 days in Canada. Some minutes/texts would be nice too, but data is the most important for us to use Whatsapp, navigation, emails etc. Does Koodo offer a pre-paid offer + simcard that I could use in a mifi router? I went through koodo website but the prepaid plans (I would be happy with the 65CAD - 8 gb offer) seemed more like a contractual offer. I am unable to reach anyone besides the automatic chat about it... Would appreciate any help and advice ... Marta
icon

Best answer by Sophia 20 June 2019, 17:58

Well looking at this site: https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Guides/best-data-only-plans-canada

It gives quite a few options for mobile Internet only - but... the huge snag is none of the better options are prepaid. You'd have to go into a store, pay an activation fee, then risk getting rejected because you don't have any Canadian ID or credit built up.

I haven't found any true prepaid plan that offers data for less than $30 per GB, so... yeah... prepare to either be frugal with data usage, or spend a lot of extra $$ on just your internet :(

Oh one more thought: note that some providers are local (some cities) only - yes they are cheap, but outside their area you pay roaming fees.
View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Not sure about the compatibility with the mifi router but all the plans you see here, are prepaid. What made you think otherwise?
I have actually contacted Bell before and their prepaid display is similar and I was informed that they are not valid just for 1 month, it's a long term contract.... This made me very confused. If the 65cad - 8 gb plan was actually prepaid, valid for 30 days offer (which is exactly what I need) it would seem great. How can I get a sim card if I am unable to order it online? Can I pick it up in Montreal after my arrival, any idea how much it would cost me ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Youdbhave to pick one up at a Koodo kiosk and any reseller like Walmart or Bestbuy. Then you can activate it.
I have noticed three locations that would work for me in Montreal too but I can't find the information about it's price. I can see that I should activate it online to save 35CAD... but I can't find any information about how much would the sim card (prepaid) card cost me. I doubt it's free 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo prepaid SIM card costs $20... Welcome to the most expensive mobile country :D

I'm afraid that 8gb plans are not available on prepaid... Just month to month plans. Not sure if you can even get one as a non resident.

With most prepaid providers, you pay around $30 per GB. Make sure you download most of your stuff while at the motel....
Sophia, I'm shocked how expensive it is in Canada... how you guys are dealing with that?? I wish I could get a 100% answer from the Koodo people (not just automatic bots) but there is nobody to talk to ... Unfortunately downloading maps etc. is not a solution for us. We are also working remotely, can't just leave work for a month.. and have be constantly connected to the internet, just to pick up the international calls.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
We're better than automatic bots, that's for sure :)

Yes, cell plans are expensive here (large country to cover) and prepaid takes the cake. Quebec does have slightly better options than most of Canada, but I couldn't tell you if any of those are prepaid.

There are forum participants from QC, hopefully they will be able to suggest an option for you. Do you just need data? What I mean to say, could you live with for example a tablet plan and use another device for your calls?
Sophia, I am quite scarred about automatization of everything so those incompetent bots are scarring me off 😉
as long as we can get at least 6 GB to put into our mifi router we can live without minutes/text messages. This way we can stay connected at least using Whatsapp service and e-mail. If there was a prepaid data + minutes option we would use our old phone for that, and use it as a hotspot source for our two other (active) phones. That was the general idea... We are sharing our trip between Quebec and Ontario, so it would be quite important for us that the plan works for both those provinces.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Well looking at this site: https://www.whistleout.ca/CellPhones/Guides/best-data-only-plans-canada

It gives quite a few options for mobile Internet only - but... the huge snag is none of the better options are prepaid. You'd have to go into a store, pay an activation fee, then risk getting rejected because you don't have any Canadian ID or credit built up.

I haven't found any true prepaid plan that offers data for less than $30 per GB, so... yeah... prepare to either be frugal with data usage, or spend a lot of extra $$ on just your internet :(

Oh one more thought: note that some providers are local (some cities) only - yes they are cheap, but outside their area you pay roaming fees.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So for prepaid sims they're 20 dollars and have 20 dollars in credit. It's the one upside for prepaid over postpaid in Canada.

You do not need to be a resident to get prepaid and if it says it comes with nationwide minutes, which the 8gb one does, then you can use it anywhere and not just in Quebec.

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans?INTCMP=KMNew_NavMenu_Shop_PrepaidPlans

That's the link for prepaid plans as I'm sure you've already accessed. Just look towards the bottom for how to activate. You have to add more credit after 30 days naturally. You'll also have Canadian calling and texting with it as well so you'll be good to go for data, whatsapp, and calls as needed.

As for dealing with how expensive it is...you just make do. You try to get better deals. Pick a plan when there's special offers. We complain but the government hasn't done much.
(..)
You have to add more credit after 30 days naturally. You'll also have Canadian calling and texting with it as well so you'll be good to go for data, whatsapp, and calls as needed.

I will be staying in Canada for less than 30 days and don't need to have active simcard after that.
What if I don't add more credit after those 30 days?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I see that Koodo offers a prepaid plan that costs $75 and includes 9GB of data (so I stand corrected as to what I said earlier! You CAN get more data on prepaid) - I'm sure all the other prepaid providers have something similar. At least it's better than $30 per GB :)

If you don't add more credit to your plan, it will just expire after 90 days being inactive. No need to cancel or do anything.
I see that Koodo offers a prepaid plan that costs $75 and includes 9GB of data - I'm sure all the other prepaid providers have something similar. At least it's better than $30 per GB :)

If this could actually be a prepaid option I would be happy with it. I am very confused now. So I understand I should go to koodo store in Montreal/ or Walmart and get a simcard for 20cad. ... gosh I hope there will be somebody there to help us out with this....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes Marta and I'm so sorry for the run around... I must learn to look past the end of my nose. YES, you can go into any store that sells Koodo prepaid SIM cards, purchase one and activate the $75 plan with the 9GB of data.

I take back what I said about being better than a bot - at least that doesn't make mistakes like I did 🙂
Yes Marta and I'm so sorry for the run around... I must learn to look past the end of my nose. YES, you can go into any store that sells Koodo prepaid SIM cards, purchase one and activate the $75 plan with the 9GB of data.

I take back what I said about being better than a bot - at least that doesn't make mistakes like I did :)

😂 That's fine Sophia ;-))) Thank you anyway. I guess I will go with it, I doubt I will find anything cheaper Hopefully Koodo internet range will cover all our trip. Fingers crossed for that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Cutting thru the red tape here: Koodo data is expensive, but if want to pursue it, you can buy a Koodo prepaid SIM now and have it mailed to you. Check the shipping options to see if they meet your requirements:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Koodo-Multi-Sim-Card-Nano-Micro-Regular-15-AIR-TIME-CREDIT-included/182949740516?hash=item2a98a77fe4:g:P4EAAOSwU91aX7Nh

If you wait till you are in Canada, you will have to buy the SIM at a Koodo shop. Most associate retailers do not carry the prepaid SIMS. However, you can then buy prepaid vouchers at many gas stations and retailers without the need of local credentials or credit:

https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-vouchers?INTCMP=KMNew_PrepaidPlansCTA_FindAStore

Activation is done entirely on-line and requires only a valid email address. Koodo's network range is as good as anyone else's and is truly national.

On prepaid, there is no contractual obligation to renew. Prepay only what is needed to fund the current month, then simply walk away after your days are up. Your account will be closed automatically.
There is no way the Koodo card would arrive at my doorstep before I leave to Canada... It would take at least two weeks and cost me yet again. The only thing I could do would be sending it to my temporary address in Montreal, but I would have to involve extra people into that story. I have noticed that there are two Boutiques in Montreal center that carry prepaid sim cards - at least that's what it is stated on Koodo website when I check on a map. Just now I have received an information from Koodo that I couldn't not get a prepaid simcard directly from them when ordered online even if I wanted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Have a wonderful trip to Canada, I'm sure everything will go smoothly once you're here 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ebay also has prepaid koodo sims for sale
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I take back what I said about being better than a bot - at least that doesn't make mistakes like I did :)

@Sophia I was so confused when the prepaid master told me otherwise. I thought I didn't understand the website.

@Marta_S, your best bet would be to go in-store as it'll ease everything. Also there's this website who explores more options : https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom.com/wiki/Canada