Koodo Community

Community

Please provide option to disable voice mail permanently

Userlevel 1
All prepaid and postpaid plans automatically include voice mail. But we should be able to opt out, since spammers and scammers can call and use up minutes on the plan leaving voice mails, and it also costs money to retrieve them. Nobody legitimate ever leaves me voice mail anyway, and I should be able to permanently disable it from self serve if I so choose.

(I've seen ideas for 'workarounds' like recording an extended greeting or leaving the mailbox full. Neither of those work all that well. This is a feature that really should be optional.)

16 replies

Userlevel 7
I've had an extended absence greeting for years now. Just informs callers I'm unavailable and gives then my alternate number to try. Tells them it doesn't accept messages and hangs up. I'd say it works pretty well. That being said I don't see a problem with allowing users to opt-out if they want and apparently, some of us want . Do It Koodo!
Userlevel 1
The extended absence greeting doesn't work, since it still sends the call to the recorded message after only a couple of rings. That often results in missing important calls because I couldn't get to my phone in time. Without voice mail, I could let it ring until I answer, accept or reject the call. Seriously, voice mail is utterly useless. All it does is allow spammers and spoofers to eat up airtime. Nobody legitimate ever leaves a message, since all it would say is "hi, I called you from this number that you have already on your caller ID, call me back". if they have something to say, they'll text or email. The only reason for Koodo to not allow it to be disabled seems to be a cash grab, i.e. all that extra airtime used depositing and retrieving voice mail. Meanwhile, it makes my phone basically unusable.
Userlevel 3
segacs wrote:

The extended absence greeting doesn't work, since it still sends the call to the recorded message...

Voicemail costs to operate. The purpose is surely not to be a cash grab. Having a feature to turn it on or off on the web would be a good idea 🙂
Userlevel 7
segacs wrote:

The extended absence greeting doesn't work, since it still sends the call to the recorded message...

Using the extended absence greeting worth incoming messages rejection costs you nothing.
Userlevel 5
segacs wrote:

Even I have had voicemails that were useful. It may not be useful to you but it is a useful service to some people especially when you get calls for projects and meetings.
Userlevel 1
segacs wrote:

@John, maybe it's useful to you, but it's useless to plenty of people. I'm not saying Koodo should get rid of it altogether. I'm saying they should provide the option.
Userlevel 2
Inside the phone usually have a setting that you can disable the call forwarding features. on basic phones i don't think it is possible but on smartphones you can disable the call forwarding if busy,  no answer. ones you do that your phone won't send your calls to the voicemail.
Userlevel 1
Billy wrote:

Inside the phone usually have a setting that you can disable the call forwarding features. on bas...

Unfortunately that doesn't work because Koodo has blocked it. Disabling forwarding gives an "unsupported by operator" error.
Billy wrote:

Inside the phone usually have a setting that you can disable the call forwarding features. on bas...

@segacs as a partial workaround, you may alter the forward-to number, see my post below.
A man left a message of him walking (I could only hear footsteps) and ate at least 30 minutes of my 100. I'm not happy. That means I can never talk on the phone with people because buying this booster is just a waste of my money and may end up with a real call being cut. You're losing money with me not offering an option to disable it! I only pay $15 per month for sms.
Userlevel 7
Kaytee wrote:

A man left a message of him walking (I could only hear footsteps) and ate at least 30 minutes of ...

Kathie, you're not charged for the system to answer and record a message. It is only when you call in to listen to messages that you are charged a per minute rate. You have the option to press 7 at anytime and delete the message or you can call your number from a landlines and press # or *( I can't remember which) and listen to your messages free. Otherwise I suggest you set an extended absence greeting and turn off recording. It's been working for me for the past 4 years.
Userlevel 6
Kaytee wrote:

A man left a message of him walking (I could only hear footsteps) and ate at least 30 minutes of ...

Do I smell an idea here? Offer the option to disable voicemail at $5/mo? Try calling from a landline to check messages and you wont get charged airtime
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kaytee wrote:

I thought calling from a landline did not consume minutes?
I looked up some tips. While it didn't let me disable forwarding calls and all that, I found the option and set it to call my home phone. That way if I listen to the message, I'm not losing minutes since I have a base plan at home. Thanks for the input though. I do hope they offer to disable the option in the future.
Option to disable voicemail permanently is DESPERATELY needed.@Koodo: the fact I can't get rid of voicemail will result to a) I will quit koodo after using up my credit, nad b) I will not buy another 3 lines for my family members.

I've found a workaround how to (at least) not get new messages. In phone setttings (calls, forwarding), there are three options (forward when busy, forward when not answering, forward when not available) pre-set to koodo's VMS +1 778 500 4002. Although the network doesn't allow to deactivate those forwards (sigh!), I set some apparently not-existent numbers there (+1 778 000 0000). As a result, caller will not reach my voicemail anymore.

Unfortunately this still not recovers the BASIC functionality of a telephone - someone calls me and the phone RINGS for at least one minute. All the above mentioned forwardis apply after 20 seconds. Ridiculous.

Koodo prices are affordable, coverage good, but this - OMG - I'm very disappointed with the service.
You can call 611 and ask them to manually turn iff messages. But if you change your tab options voicemail becomes active again, so you have to call 611 over again. But this is the way.