Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Phone stolen, Unable to get new prepaid SIM, Customer service not helpful and seems to not care.

I had my phone stolen about a month ago. I added my SIM to stolen on my prepaid self serve account, though my month still expired even though I had more than 2 weeks left in my prepaid month (should that not get put on hold?). I don't want any of the cheap phones that are offered on prepaid in my town and can't afford a more expensive phone right now so I got a decent phone used from a pawn shop. Unfortunately I just found out there is nowhere in my town that I can buy a prepaid SIM without purchasing a phone along with it. I can not afford to buy another phone just to get a SIM. I also can not afford to take a greyhound an hour out of town and then back again to the closest place I can buy just a prepaid SIM (would cost about the same as buying the cheapest phone and SIM available here). I have over 1600 talk minutes on my account and need to keep my phone number. A friend was changing companies and I managed to just buy their prepaid Koodo SIM off of them only to find out that the SIM can not be deactivated and reactivated on my account, nor can my credit be transferred to this SIM. I do not have a credit card (same reason I can only get a prepaid phone) to order a new SIM. I was told I can not put money on my account and have the SIM deducted from my balance. What am I supposed to do? I have already gone over a month without a phone. No other phone company does not sell prepaid SIM cards by themselves anywhere they sell postpaid SIM cards. This is getting ridiculous. I already am the one that has to deal with losing my phone with all my pictures (from the past 2 years) on my 64GB micro SD card as well as all my music. And now I am told I can't keep the minutes I had purchased because of my bad luck because there is no way I can get a new SIM. I need my prepaid minutes and can not afford to purchase more for a while as I am on a very limited budget. Customer service at Koodo seems to not care at all, nor have they been willing to try to help me in any way. Do I give up and go with another company? None of them would give me this problem. I feel as if I am nothing to Koodo. There are a lot of retired / low income people in my town that would be in the same predicament as myself if their phones were to be stolen. I can not believe there is no other options. I need my phone working with my prepaid minutes and the same phone number. PLEASE help me somehow. I am out of viable ideas and if nothing is done about this, I will find another provider. I have told everybody I know that Koodo is the best prepaid provider for around 2 years, and have converted quite a few people. Now you're just making me look like a fool. My phone makes me money, so without it I have no job and have done nothing but get deeper and deeper into debt which I will never be able to come out of. Who would have thought a stolen phone would cause so much havoc in someones life.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
First of all, very sorry about your bad experience, sounds like quite an ordeal! I'm a bit puzzled though what a SIM card has to do with keeping your number/minutes... all you need to do is top up your account and you're good for another 30 days (plus 90 days grace). You don't need a SIM card or phone to keep your account active. As for buying a new prepaid SIM card, have you considered eBay? You can get them as cheap as $6 if you're lucky...
Sophia wrote:

First of all, very sorry about your bad experience, sounds like quite an ordeal! I'm a bit puz...

If I could afford around $18, then yes that would at the very least give me more time to save. But when I say limited budget, I have nothing to spare.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

First of all, very sorry about your bad experience, sounds like quite an ordeal! I'm a bit puz...

It takes money to make money. I think you need a loan or to sell some of your stuff
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

HippyLongStocking also gave good advice to contact Koodo, especially since you reported your phone stolen they might be lenient if you explain your situation. No guarantees, but it is worth a try. I'm sure we all feel very sorry about your situation (I know I do) but you must agree there is only so much a company can do. Strictly speaking a cell phone is a luxury item and not a life's necessity. Obviously you have Internet so even if you don't have a landline it should be easy for you to take a Fongo or Skype account and call people over IP... I'm sure there are options available to you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Problem: -Your phone makes you money. -You need it to have a job. -You are without a phone -You are without a new prepaid sim Solution? -Get the cheap, but still usable phone that are available with prepaid in your town. -Reactivate your new prepaid sim to reclaim your boosters before they are lost -This will solve your phone, sim, job, and money issues that you have stated. Once you have money (from your job that needs a phone) you can buy a better phone or use greyhound for more options. The alternative is that you wait for an ideal solution for a prepaid sim only (without a credit card) or the phone you really really want that comes with a prepaid sim and "have no job and have done nothing but get deeper and deeper into debt which I will never be able to come out of"
Dennis wrote:

Problem: -Your phone makes you money. -You need it to have a job. -You are without a phone ...

I already spent my savings on a used phone and it will take a couple months before I can afford the cheapest phone plus SIM.
Userlevel 5
Where are you going to find a Koodo prepaid sim card? Do you have an official koodo kiosk in your area? If you do you should have no problems getting a sim card right from the kiosk, we sell pre paid sims w.o the phone attached all the time. if its a wal mart or future shop i can see them giving you a little bit of a problem with that, but they should still be able to sell you a sim card w.o selling you the phone ! thats just ridiculous. You can buy a prepaid sim card from out website so you should be able to get in from any reatiler that sells koodo or a koodo kiosk w.o having to purchase a new phone! If i were you i would write of an email to customer service http://koodomobile.com/en/on/contact.shtml
HippieLongstocking wrote:

Where are you going to find a Koodo prepaid sim card? Do you have an official koodo kiosk in your...

Yes only Walmart and London Drugs sell them here and both sell contract SIM cards, but neither sell prepaid SIM cards. The closest Koodo kiosk is an hour drive away. It doesn't make any sense to me why they don't sell both.

Where are you going to find a Koodo prepaid sim card? Do you have an official koodo kiosk in your...

Now I know why you keep me around 😢
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'm sorry, what do you mean?

(To Cory) lol.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

And again. What do you mean...?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That was from 3 years ago lol
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Why dont you get a family/friend with a credit card and buy a sim. And you can pay them back in cash
He did... he used me to get a credit credit off my account. LUCKILY- I had it cancelled and flagged at all hotels, car rental places, stores, places that require credit cards to use as professional source of advancement.