Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Old Phone with a different sim card

I have a koodo prepaid phone. my mother in law gave me her sim card which has money on it but when i put it into my phone i get unregistered sim error. Why? what can i do to fix this?

16 replies

Userlevel 7
It should work right away. Have you tried turning your phone off first before inserting her SIM card?
Userlevel 7
Is her prepaid service through Koodo?
yes to both, that is why she gave it to me
i just tried again and it still say unregistered sim. and i can only make emergency calls. how do i register it with my phone? i tried activating it thru koodo and that didnt work either
Userlevel 7
How long ago did she have service before she handed you the sim? Because If it's been over 90 Days the service and sim may have expired On your phone make sure under wireless and networks that your phone isn't set to "Use 2g only" or "Use GSM only *
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

How long ago did she have service before she handed you the sim? Because If it's been over...

What phone do you have?
today, she changed plans or something and went to contract from prepaid and then brought me her sim said there was still money unsed and i could have it since we are both with koodo
Userlevel 7
Did she keep her number when she went to contract?
ok will check that now
i dont see anywhere for that option
yes i do believe she kept her number
Userlevel 7
Okay, If she kept her number (ported out) then that likely cancelled her prepaid service which would render the funds lost and the sim unusable
oh ok well that makes sense now tyvm for the help
Userlevel 7
Candy Williston wrote:

oh ok well that makes sense now tyvm for the help

Glad I could help.
It may be because the mobile is locked with any other network lock .To know your mobile is locked or not ,do the following Switch on your mobile phone with a sim card from a network other than the network you are currently with. If you are able to use the phone, you can be sure that your phone is not locked. If your phone displays an error message saying "Wrong sim" or "Incorrect sim" or "Emergency calls only", etc., then your phone is probably locked. To get your mobile unlocked ,contact your mobile service provider and ask for the unlocking service or you can get the service from an online vendor like http://www.wickedunlock.com/supported-phones/rs11wp7/ .Provide them with the IMEI number .
Userlevel 7
vasanth wrote:

It may be because the mobile is locked with any other network lock .To know your mobile is locked...

No it's because of the reasons I posted three weeks ago. Also your website is ridiculous and way overpriced. Anyone who would visit it and unlock their phone is a fool.